Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 25, 2007 * Wakima River or Bob Lake Route to Obabika < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, August 8, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Leaving on a 10 day trip and would like some thoughts on which is the preferred option from Diamond to Obabika. Is the Wakima River or Bob lake route. One has more portages (Bob) but the other I have heard may be dry and lots of carries across beaver dams.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks in advance
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 335

Posted on Tuesday, August 8, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bigwolf:
I don't recall the Wakimika River ever being dried up.If you are travelling from Diamond to Obabika via the River you will be going downstream, so any beaver dams will be mostly pullovers.

If for some reason, this is not the case this year, someone please advise us.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 201

Posted on Tuesday, August 8, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The last I heard this year there are not any beaver dams or liftovers on Wakimika River.

Bill
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 9, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Even during low water years the Wakimika River has more than enough water in it . The three times I have done it the most beaver dams I have seen is perhaps two along the entire length, so direction of travel isn't that big a deal either.

Please post when you get back on your experience in the Bob Lake area, as I am considering going there in September.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 112

Posted on Wednesday, August 9, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sandy Inlet - Sharp Rock - Bob - Shish Kong is a really good route and a good diversion from the traditional route through Diamond - Wakimika - Obabika.

Only two camp sites on Bob and the southern site is more comfortable IMO.

In 2001 we travelled the Wakimika River and it was dry in a couple of spots near beaver dams that we had to lift over and deal with shallow water.
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your thoughts on the Wakima River. Looks like that's our option. I will be bringing extra garbage bags to carry garbage out this year, since last year on our trip there was so much junk. I cannot believe the stuff and garbage people leave behind. It's very frustrating to see our beautiful forest's not taken care of. Moutain River Lodge on Red Cedar agreed to cart the stuff out for us on our exit.

Thanks again and good canoeing or trekking.
Will write a report on my return.

(Message edited by bigwolf on August 10, 2006)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home