Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 25, 2007 * A good weekend trip < Previous Next >

Link to this message

marek

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 8, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi there,
My friend and I have heard great things about Temagami and want to see it for ourselves. We've canoe tripped a few times in Algonquin so we know what we're doing and we're in relatively good shape (we're in our early 30's). We're planning to come up for the August 18th weekend; start Friday evening, finish Sunday afternoon. Any route suggestions? Thanks.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 336

Posted on Wednesday, August 9, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Marek:
A weekend will not give you sufficient time to do very many routes in Temagami.A long weekend would help.
What you might consider is going into one of the lakes close to the highway and sitting on it for the weekend or simply sitting on Lake Temagami itself for the weekend. You will have motorboat noise.
If you have a copy of Hap Wilsons Book you could look at Route #5 on page 70 and modify it to suit your time. i.e. Start at the Central Access Road on Friday well before dark and paddle into Shiningwood Bay, choosing a campsite along there for the night.On Saturday portage into and through Olier L., Denedus L.,Wasaksina L. and into Cross Lake staying there for the night.
On Sunday morning eiher paddle South in Cross L and out through Outlet Bay into Lake Temagami, then North and back to the Central Access Road to your car.Or portage out of Cross L. at the NW corner, into Cross Bay L. and then into Temagami, if conditions on L. Temagami are rough due to the wind.

Alternatively take the Rabbit L. access road located South of the Town of Temagami on the East side of #11N and drive in there. Park and choose a site on Rabbit L. and stay there for the weekend.

Ed.
 Link to this message

marek

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, August 9, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Ed,
Thanks for your suggestions. I think I like Hap's route #5 the best.
Can anyone tell me what the park permit procedure is. Do we need permits for the route suggested and do we need to reserve campsites in advance. Thanks.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 339

Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Marek;
That route is not in the Parks so no permits are required. Sites are on a first come basis.
 Link to this message

marek

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Beautiful,
I guess there's always empty campsites or is there a possibilty we'll be setting up our campsite in the bush?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 341

Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Marek:
Your not supposed to do that bush thing.
Since you are not going on a long weekend,you should be OK. But you may want to think about camping early if you see lots of other canoeists out there on your route.
If you are on Lake Temagami you may find yourself competing for sites with motor boaters who bring their families up for several days to camp.

But I can't recall ever not being able to find a site in Temagami when I have gone there during the busy season.
 Link to this message

marek

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Ed,
Thanks for all the tips. I think we're pretty much set. We're going to do Hap Wilson's route #5 like you suggested and just enjoy finally getting to see what Temagami's all about.
Thanks for your help,
Marek

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home