Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 25, 2007 * Lewbert Lake - Ames Creek < Previous Next >

Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anyone ever found a portage between the west end of Lewbert Lake and Ames Creek ?

I would think that finding the trail from the Lewbert Lake side would be easier….if time permits, I may try that route, as it would cut off a good chunk of Ames, as well as the slog through PineTorch Creek .
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 590

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I agree the route is tempting. I have looked for the first of the portages to Lewbert from the west side of Beaver Lake, but could find little more than a few blazes. It is certainly worth trying to look for the trail on the Ames side.
 Link to this message

temagami_bob

Post Number: 26

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

With logging planned in the Lewbert Lake area (Block 28, sometime before 2009), and with more logging likely south of Lewbert Lake over the next 20 years, I could see this route on the Nastawgan Network list of Temagami's Most Endangered Canoe Routes in 2007.

If anyone is interested in rehabilitating this route, please contact us at the Network. (And join the NN, if you haven't already.)

www.nastawgan.ca
 Link to this message

garrett

Post Number: 193

Posted on Tuesday, October 3, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good luck... I tried to open it in 2002 to no avail. I'd be interested to hear how you do.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home