Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Trip Advice - 4 Days < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ajhughes

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this website and forums and I'm quite impressed at the wealth of information here.

We are a group of 4 planning a trip for October lasting 4 days. We have a good amount experience and at a pretty good level of fitness. I'm looking for some advice as we plan our trip.

First question. Can anyone recommend a map that provides good information for planning canoe routes for the area north / north west of Obabika? Preferably one that includes camp sites? Is the one this site that has the 1900's information good enough?

Second, does anyone have any recommendations for routes that would work well starting on North Obabika or any of the other lakes in that general area?

Has anyone done a trip of similar length in Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 350

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Andrew:
If you haven't got a copy of "Temagami Canoe Routes - Planning Map" published by MNR you should get that.Available in most outdoor stores in Ontario.
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/Misabi-Ran ge.htm

This will get you started . Eventually, you'll want topos . Ed's rec is a very good one . Get Hap Wilsons guide book for detailed route info - it is excellent .

The Nastawgan map has a lot of portages that have fallen into disuse ; some of the water bodies are much different ( compare Lady Evelyn Lake today versus back then for an extreme example of this ) . It would not be my first choice .
I am going to be in that area in mid September, albeit for close to two weeks . It would seem that only having four days you would be somewhat limited in what you can do - maybe a loop trip down the Obabika River to Wawiagama and back . With your time span you wouldn't have enough time to go into the Pinetorch area and come out via the LE river like some do .
Another would be to do a short version of the Diamond loop . Go from Obobika to Diamond via Bob Lake, then back through Wakimika Lake . Stop by the Old Growth Forest .
The other option would be to fly in to say Florence Lake and then work your way back through the Pinetorch area - but you would have to hustle with only 4 days.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home