Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Diamond/Wakima/Obabika/Red Cedar Trip Report < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just got back from this trip. First two days out of Central access were rain. We stopped at Seal Point the first night. Site was fairly clean, although the thunderbox was a disaster. Second night was at the far end of Diamond, just before Wakima. This was my first and probably last time out in this area. It's beautiful, but way too busy for me. There were soo many canoes and the sites well were quite disgusting. The site on Obabika where we stayed was full of toilet paper/and feminine hygiene products. We cleaned and buried as much as we could. The lake, trees, mountains are without comparaison, but unfortunately uncaring people are ruining it. We did see 3 bears along the way, one swimming across the Wakima River. The river is fine for canoeing, we did haul the canoe over about 6 or 7 beaver dams, nothing major.

The trip across the Temagami was a bit dangerous due to the high winds but with the islands used as safe heavens we made it okay. Cross Lake was paradise, quiet, clean and full of wildlife and no houseboats this time.

The temagami river was good, with high water and almost all rapids were run, with only Keel Hauler that we portaged. Again many people along the way. We made the whole loop back down to Thistle Lake (Island) in 5 and a half days.

A beautiful scenic trip, but one that I would not do again. Probably one more suitable for the fall or for paddlers that like significant paddler interaction.

Please feel free to ask any other questions.

Next year, a much more isolated trip will be the plan. Any thoughts on a seven day trip with no significant Temagami lake crossings? I was thinking either Chiniguchi or Lady Evelyn River in early fall?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 353

Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bigwolf:
Can you identify the site on Obabika that you stayed on?
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed,

The site is on the eastern side of Obabika. South of the old growth forest, just before Grandmother and Grandfather rock. It's where there are the slanted rocks (beautiful place to lie down and watch the lake or the stars. The place was just awful. Probably because there is no thunderbox and people just go anywhere. Unfortunately, they do not bury anything. We did our best to clean up, but the site was quite bad.

Other sites along the route where much better, other than Sand Point on Temagami, where traffic is high.

Cheers
Bigwolf
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 354

Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 8:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks,Bigwolf:
I know where it is.I think it is either just inside the Park Boundary or maybe a bit South of the Boundary, which is why it may not have a box on it.
I will try to go over there in mid September to see if we can do something if not this year then maybe early next season.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 177

Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed
There are 4 thunderboxes waiting for "installation" at Alex's right now.
I think that Hillbilly made them?
Looks like we have a good place for one of them?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 355

Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Would these be modern ones or old fashioned ones?
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 178

Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Plastic ones with seats and lids
 Link to this message

mushrooms1

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Are there fines in place for leaving a mess? They should be very stiff for places like Temagami....even as far as a ban under the trespass to property act.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 205

Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed,
I will be up on Sept. 13 and will help or put a box at that site. There are for plastic 1/2 drums and 2 seats at Alex's and I will be bringing 2 more seat with me.

Bill
 Link to this message

gone_paddling

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just got back from an injury filled trip on the Petawawa river, have to pospone my trip to Temagami for now. Nothing broken just some real bad bruises. The Thunder boxes for camp sites send me information, through my contacts I my be able to do something either plastic or wooden. All camp sites should have one then even careless campers can help keep Temagami clean.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home