Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Canoeing with Kids * Archive through April 6, 2004 < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 16

Posted on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I will be taking my 5 year old son on his first overnight canoe trip this summer. I plan on 3 days and 2 nights. Any trip suggestions (remember who will be doing most of the paddling) tips and tricks for canoeing with young kids would be appreciated.
 Link to this message

purser

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 5:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

b_p , Is there any chance you can show a blow-up of the pic below your pseudonym? And where was the photo taken? D. Lalonde
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 151

Posted on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I found my kids got bored with long stretches of paddling, so I always planned shorter distances and added in other activities. We always did a lot of swimming and hiking on trails.
 Link to this message

blackfox_dave

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 6:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi bush_pilot thanks for all the photos that you have posted...It's been quite along time since my two where at that age...but I had many a happy days paddling with them we had a old canoe as a sand pit in the back yard...so from a very early age they where used to being around the boat.and.had meany of adventures of there own even before we got them on the water at about two years old...

There is a good page on Richards munns site
http://www.myccr.com/SectionTechnique/TheTrip/Cano eingWithKids.htm
I was going to cut and paste some in on this post but due to copyright...ect

Another good link that I know off is
http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/paddling/featur es/can_kids.htm
not much of it but still very good..

Hoping you have as much enjoyment as I have had tripping with them..I am glad that even to this day when the Canoe comes out of the boatshed that they are just as keen to get out on the water as at when they where at that age.....

We have Just had a little addition to our family afrter 14 years we are now looking forward to putting a new sandpit out in the yard...as Aaliyah is five months old...and my ppl will have to wait
I clocked up 6 hours last year..and was about to pay for a full course of lessons when we found out

Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 17

Posted on Monday, April 5, 2004 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Purser here is an enlargement of the photo, I'll have to change it, its a too dark. The photo was taken on the Northeast Arm Lake Temagami, I have a long timer on my camera, but it still took many attempts to get myself in the right position. I couldn't persuade anyone to get up with me a 5 am to be the model.

Dave, congratulations on the new addition, we also have a 10 month old at home. His mother won't let him come on the trip with big brother. Thanks for the links.
 Link to this message

purser

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 1:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

That is a beaut of a photo...thx b_p.
 Link to this message

bob

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 7:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Keep away from portaging with a little one if at all possible. It is nice to be on a small lake or one that has shelter from wind and waves such as a small lake or lots of islands and bays. What are your options for starting points for your trip by canoe?
 Link to this message

paul_hammersten

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

A good book to read and stories to tell around the campfire and in the tent made for a very special time [ especially to look forward to during the day when ' things ' might be getting ' too much '...you know how that can happen ] when I tripped with small children.

Best

Paul
 Link to this message

tess

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

My son was my canoe partner for 14 years. He had his first trip on Martin River when he was four...

When talking to him now (he's 20) he tells me the best part of all those trips and years was the fact we did everything together... Reading the map, planning the day, gathering the drift wood, preparing the dinner....and I had to learn to dive off high rocks for hours on end (he loved that the most) ... When winded in I had to play hide and seek, build forts and so on. We'd explore coves and wetlands...catch frogs, study spiders...

My input is this...make it fun, "become" a child as well as a teacher and parent, play and don't be hard on them when they whine on a long portages or when they get bored with the necessary camp chores. Change it up at that point, play awhile, come back to it later.

Trust me, by the time my little boy was a strapping young man he carrier the canoe, put up the tent, started to get dinner ready...It all happened naturally overtime and without pressure.

We both have the gift of those memories...and I know that one day we'll have another trip together... just hope I'm still up to it when it happens, that he's not too hard on me, that he still wants to dive and swim and play!
 Link to this message

tess

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, April 6, 2004 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

P.S. a great toy to bring on a trip with a four or five year old (if your not sensitive about such things) is a super soaker. We had sooo much fun with it, it was worth the carry!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home