Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Ozhway lake Maskinonge portage route < Previous Next >

Link to this message

jnewman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My 10 daughter and I are doing a 7 day trip next week. I have been looking at doing a route in the chiniguchi area. In Hap Wilsons book route 23 he talks about shortening a 170 km loop by takeing the Ozhway Lake- Maskinonge lake portage route I have the 4 top maps for that area and can't find a Ozhway lake. I also mondered if there was any road access to Washagami lake.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 357

Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 8:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Look at 41I/16 Lake Temagami. You come off the Sturgeon River at Kelly Lake (Ozhway Lake) and then portage through Gamagowong and Gawassi into Maskinonge L.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 359

Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As to access to Washagami Lake, the maps do show a road into there, but I don't know if there is public access.
You could try to contact sid@canoedog.ca
and ask him or go to :http://www.friendsofchiniguchi.org/ and try to get Mike McIntosh to respond to your question.
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, there is a public access on Washagami Lake, however, it's quite a drive to get up to that point from Hagar... I'm not too familiar with the roads in that area - just the canoe routes...
A better solution might be to contact the Sportsman's Lodge on Kukagami Lk (new owners are "canoe-friendly") - and arrange a shuttle over to the Matagamasi put-in, or start your trip directly from Kukagami Lake. Check out the area on your maps - the entire region is interconnected with portages, and it's a scenic trip between Kukagami and Maskinonge Lk, via Carafel Lk.
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Also <afterthought>:
There is a lodge at the South end of Maskinonge that caters to canoeists, and has safe parking and access. This would likely be the best option.

Mike
 Link to this message

jnewman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for all the advise. Is the drive to Kukagami lake a lot shorter than to Washagami? I had been told the road from Washagami to Maskinonge was very slow so I figured I would rather paddle it. Are there a lot of cottages or power boats on washagami? I am just wondering why you suggest avoiding it? I will have to nail down our route tommorrow night. We are heading out Saturday afternoon spending the night at Miskew provincial park then staring the trip Sunday.
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, there are many cottages on Washagami Lk, and I believe the road to Kukagami Lk is in much better condition than the rough road to Washagami. The Kukagami Lk road is maintained by the City of Sudbury, and is kept in good shape all year. It is only about a 25 min drive from Hwy. 17 to Sportsman's Lodge.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home