Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Scarecrow Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

sir_campsalot

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just wondering if Scarecrow is reachable by canoe in September? I've never been to Temagami before so I don't know what the water conditions or river/stream sizes are like.

If so, would I be better paddling in from Smoothwater, or is it possible to get there from Hamlow or Stull lakes? (I've heard the access road isn't the best to get to the Sturgeon River)

Also, would Florence be reachable from Smoothwater at this time of year?? Thanks.

Kevin
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 360

Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Kevin:
It is doubtful that the South Lady Evelyn would have enough water to float you from Smoothwater to Florence in September.This route is better done in the early spring.Lightjay travelled this route last year in July and I think he had to do a lot of dragging and portaging.You could try to contact him on myccr and get his thoughts.

The bridge across the Sturgeon South of Hamlow, is no longer there. You would have to leave your vehicle at the end of the road and then travel up the Sturgeon a bit to where one of the portages comes in to get onto Stull Lake or continue on the road across the river from where the bridge used to be, a long portage or take Stull Creek to Hamlow Lake and go from there. Stull Creek is a difficult route.
Others here may have some advice regarding this route.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 60

Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Kevin,
It's better paddling in from Smoothwater (the drive to Beauty Lake road is longer but OK), You may encounter shallow water paddling up Montreal River but you just get out on gravelly sections and pull upstream. I suggest taking the portage via Mihell Lake and not going down Scarecrow Creek (shallow and beaver dams). If you want to get to the Obabika ceremony (see my post on CCR) then you must use other options.
South Lady Evelyn River COULD be done this late but you would have to walk in the river for a first km or so, we did this part in mid August in 1984, (but only on the gravelly parts, DO NOT try walking in the river after the portage to the headwaters , there is deep muskeg there!). And the big bend in the river after the portage can be bypassed to avoid very low water by taking an ancient trail that cuts across it (we did this also in 1984). This is not on Temagami Routes maps but was shown on older topo maps (I'm not sure if the new ones show it), and it's about 1300m long

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home