Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Scarecrow to Gowganda < Previous Next >

Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 70

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all
Making final plans for our Temagami trip this extra long weekend. We've wanted to climb Ishpatina Ridge for many years now, but for various reasons, we had to change our plans. Since a flight from town and back is quite expensive, we've decided to fly in from Long Point, and paddle back to Gowganda Lake where our vehicle will be repositioned for us by the outfitter. I've read lots about the route from Scarecrow as far up as the take out on the Montreal River, but can't find much info regarding the rest of the way into Gowganda Lake. Hap's new book says there is an excellent campsite after the portage into the south end of Stumpy Lake, where I plan on spending our last night. The outfitter has told me that there is a campsite on a small island near this location as well. I keep imagining an overused campsite littered with beer cans and garbage.... Hopefully I'm wrong. Has anyone been through this are recently. Any info regarding this route would be much appreciated.
Marc
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 362

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 8:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

tsm
As you travel North past the Beauty Lake Road takeout there is a portage on the RHS 1780m, with a campsite at the end of it.Travel on downriver to about a 1km South of Stumpy lake and there is campsite on the LHS.As you approach Stumpy Lake there should be a portage on the RHS 380m and a campsite on the portage. In Stumpy Lake there is a site on the West shore in a Bay about 1/2 way up the lake. Continuing North along the West shore you travel into a bay in the NW corner and there should be a site either on shore as it narrows or on the Island in that location. Portage on the RHS 815m into Gowganda Lake and continue on to the Town. They may have positioned your car here as this last portage also has a road close to it that goes to Gowganda.

This is info. from "Kirkland Lake District Canoe Routes" an MNR publication 4618, ISBN 0-7729-8186-8

I am not sure if it is still in print.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 363

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

tsm
I just re-read your post and realized that you probably have the above info. from Hap's book page 110 as Route #18 with more detail than the MNR publication.
Can't tell you about the beer cans et. al.
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 71

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed
Thanks for the info. I think we'll still plan on spending our last night on Stumpy....unless the weather is bad, we're out of food, or home sick!!!!!
Our vehicle will be positioned on what they refer to as the east branch...the long skinny section of the river(lake) as it opens into Gowganda Lake. There apparently is an access point here. If none of the sites are available/acceptable, we'll head all the way to our vehicle on Sunday

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home