Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * October in Temagami < Previous Next >

Link to this message

heilbron

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've been planning a six day solo trip, based on Ed's advice (thanks, Ed), for early September. Unfortunately, I have to cancel. I'm thinking of rescheduling for the first week of October. I've never done a trip this late in the year and am wondering what I can expect re weather, temperatures, foliage...
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 364

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would check the 14 day forecast for the area before you commit to going.
It could be quite nice if there is no rain. If it is raining it will be cold and you would need to dress accordingly or decide not to go.
The nights will be cold in either case and the days are getting pretty short by then.
The leaves will be mostly gone by then but maybe not.... Also as Kim has pointed out a lot of the bush is coniferous.
Go to: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cities/ca n/pages/CAON0677.htm?ref=wxbtnold

for the weather forecast. You can access this from the front page of Ottertooth courtesy of Brian.
I expect to be canoeing it Temagami until about September 29th. so I am hopeful the weather will co-operate.
 Link to this message

heilbron

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, Ed... I checked the weather network. It was nice that week last year... but who knows? Do you think there's a point in me a bit farther south?
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 79

Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sept 29th last year I was trolling wearing a floater suit...2*C... in light rain/snow. Plan accordingly. I'll be on the lake 'till late September this year again...but with the bonus of a heated cottage for the nights!

(Message edited by irishfield on August 31, 2006)
 Link to this message

heilbron

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks. Would Temagami or Algonquin be warmer?
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 80

Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It's a crap shoot! I fished Bay of Quinte October 12/14th and it was 10*C..sunny etc and very similar weather up North during that period. As Ed stated...all you can do is check the long range for the two areas and be ready to pull the plug before or during if necessary.

(Message edited by irishfield on August 31, 2006)
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 184

Posted on Friday, September 1, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I camped at the Pinery last year on Nov 11
It was 65 degrees all weekend.

I know that is south.... but you never know?
Go for it.
 Link to this message

moose

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, September 4, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

ive been in the temagami area in october for yrs and the weather is a crap shoot , weve had snow rain sun 80 degree weather but its the north and i enjoy what it brings as iam away from the city
 Link to this message

heilbron

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for all the advice. I had a great solo trip first week of October on Hap Wilson's Route 9 (as suggested by Ed). The weather was a mix--temperatures ranging from -4 to +20, a little rain--but on the whole really good.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 369

Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 8:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Heilbron:
Then you did better than we did.From September 18th to the 30th it rained.We were out for 11 of those days.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 82

Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Why we left on Sept 26th Ed. After 2 1/2 weeks of constant rain or fog 'till 2pm in the afternoon...just couldn't take it anymore! (and we had a roof over our heads!)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 370

Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 8:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well, I was debating whether to call in a plane to haul our butts out when we got to Florence, but in the final analysis, we went with our planned trip... out through Ames to Nasmith Creek, Hortense and Wakimika.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home