Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Road to ishpatina < Previous Next >

Link to this message

tiborticus

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all,
planning a 10 day trip for the beginning of October to the area round Ishpatina. three questions:
1. anyone know the water levels in this area that time of year?
2.what's the status of the access point near Ishpatina?
3. i don't have a car, and have to rent. that said, is the road to that Access point passible (last year, took what i thought on topo map was a logging road - turned out to be a hunters ATV track...)

thanks everyone!

cheers, clear skies, and happy paddling!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 365

Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

tiborticus:
You might want to read this, if you haven't done so already.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Trips/ishpatin
a.htm

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 366

Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

tiborticus:
Unfortunately, the only way to determine the water levels witout speaking to someone who has gone there recently is to look at data from the Upper Goose Falls water measuring station.

go to;
http://scitech.pyr.ec.gc.ca/waterweb/selectProvinc e.asp

and follow the instructions.
The current level as of today at Upper Goose is 4.5m but you will need to do some studying to determine what that might mean as far as travelling on the Sturgeon up by Hamlow etc.
 Link to this message

dmarrone

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, September 1, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all,

I'm also looking for a 6 - 7 day trip (that's after travel time) in mid-october that allows us to do Ishpatina Ridge (it's stymied me a few times), starting at the Sturgeon River logging road access. I've looked at 3 options:

- Heading to the ridge and then taking the Wanapitei R down to L. Wanapitei and finishing here.
- Starting with the ridge and taking the Sturgeon R. to Laura L. and L. Wanapitei.
- A loop trip starting and ending at the Sturgeon R. access.

I realize these rivers have been discussed quite a bit already, but in searching I haven't yet found specific info on what water levels will be like in mid-October. Does anyone have info on what to expect water-level wise for either river? I don't mind if many rapids are no longer runnable - but I would mind if we are dragging a large portion of the river.
I'm looking for opinions on which river would be best mid-October, or whether either one would be any good at all.

Any alternative ideas are welcome as well; I really like the idea of doing I. Ridge though.

Thanks for the help.
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 98

Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There was a report on CBC radio this morning that 6 people made a web broadcast from Ishpatina yesterday. They plan to broadcast from the highest point in each province. The weather was very miserable yesterday in Sudbury, I'm sure Ishpatina was in the clouds. Does anyone know anything about this or where it might be found on the web?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 621

Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Haven't heard a thing. CBC would know.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

They were outfitted locally, did experience heavy fog, and returned Thursday night. Temagami Public School was to watch the broadcast, but I'm unsure if they did. I know nothing of the success of their venture.
 Link to this message

cascade

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My husband and did maple Mountain last year, access point Mowat landing and crossing east through Lady Evelyn and had a great times - as we always do in temagami. This year we would like to access the other side of the Ishpatina ridge but I can't find any trail/canoe information... anyone familiar with Ishpatina from the 'other side'?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 393

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

cascade: you might want to look at the section of Craig MacDonalds Nastawgan for that area.
go to:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/nastawgan/ nastaw-1B.htm
But I think you would be a fair distance away from the ridge, probably over by the Wanapitei River.
So look at Haps Book on page 130 for the Wanapitei a bit south of Isphatina and go to:

http://www.myccr.com/canoedb/routeDetails.php?rout eid=182
for a description of routes of the Wanapitei to the north of that.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home