Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Gamble Lk < Previous Next >

Link to this message

newbe

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does any one know the condition of the "road" to Gamble Lake? I would like to use Gamble as an access, can I park my vehicle there?
Thanks in advance.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 53

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 6:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Newbe:
We need to try to get Hap Wilson to jump in here and answer your question, or someone who has been through there in the last season.

Garrett are you around?

I have to guess that this road is blocked with a gate at the border of Lady Evelyn Smoothwater Provincial Park. In that case you would not be able to get down to Gamble Lake to launch.
If no one else answers, I suggest you email John.Salo@mnr.gov.on.ca , the park superintendent.

Link to this message

garrett

Post Number: 36

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 2:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Actually, I believe the gate is further south on that road. You can get into either Kaa Lake (North of Gamble on the Lady E.) and Gamble lake and you can park at Gamble at one of the campsites. Road access to this part of the Lady Evelyn River begins just to the West of Elk Lake and the mouth of the Makobe River (where it enters the Montreal). Sorry, I can't remember the name and I don't have my notes with me right now.
 Link to this message

blackfly

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 9:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Access to Gamble Lake is by the Beauty Lake Rd. west of Elk Lake. About 11 Km. down take the left branch of the road at Beauty Lake. The road to Gamble Lk. was a bit rough late last fall but I will update you shortly when I go down next. It's only a hop and small jump from Gowganda for me. Still too much snow on the back roads for any kind of travel,
 Link to this message

rootbrian

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 1:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It was very rough last year. There are some low sections by gamble lake where a creek runs over the road, if the water is high it is certainly a wash out. prepare to buy a new pair of shocks afterword.
 Link to this message

chip

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 7:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Blackfly, have you been in the road that goes to Gamble? Is it possible to put in before you get to gamble if the roads to rough?
Appreciate your advice on this. When would you suggest is a better time to go in. Mid july or mid August?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 72

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 2:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Chip:
There was lots of traffic on the Beauty road on the May long weekend. There were people camping at Kaa, on Gamble and further South along the road, including one group pulling a small travel trailer, with a minivan ( Ford Aerostar). So it is passable for minivans and small trucks at least down to Gamble. Cars may be a bit too low to the ground as there are some serious dips in some culverts.
You could put in further up, say at Kaa, but there are some difficult portages to go from Kaa to Gamble and further down.I think you would want to drive as far down as possible.
 Link to this message

chip

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 9:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks ed

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home