Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 3, 2012 * Student trip June 2012 < Previous Next >

Link to this message

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 7:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have discussed this issue before but without a pending date for a trip. Now we know we are going to Temagami in early June for 12 days.
The students involved are inexperienced paddlers. They will have been certified with ORCA 1 after a few days on flat water learning rescue techniques. Each student is a competent swimmer, as well. The students are in groups of 6,7 or possibly 8 with two exeperienced teachers/adult chaperones to each group.

The criteria for trip routes would basically embrace safety concerns first and foremost.
Although experienced paddlers are out to bag the sweetest spots in any given area, for the first timer, it is all beautiful, all exciting and all new. So, even looping back for them is not necessarily a bad thing.
Obviously, in choosing Temagami, areas such as the Old Growth, Maple Mountain, etc. are important opportunities not to be missed if possible.
I am inclined to avoid large open water crossings and what I consider to be over the line of good discretion portages. By that, I mean portages such as the ones on the South Branch of the Lady Evelyn River.
I have done these portages many times myself, but I would prefer not to have to worry about them. I consider the North Branch Portages barely within the limits of acceptable safeness.
I am surprised at how conservative I am being with this, but anyone dealing with Boards of Education will understand that one serious accident can wipe out an entire Outdoor Education Program in a simple, all encompassing law suit. So, safety is the word of the day.

At the same time, I am thinking that trail maintenance and campsite work would be a great way to introduce these students to the values and beliefs of the paddling community.
Also, not having to move every day allows for a more relaxed atmosphere, especially given a 12 day trip.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 8:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

where is your group coming from? have your parents and or chaperones experienced paddlers?
 Link to this message

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

ORCA 1 is more cert than most experienced trippers have.

I suspect your biggest issue will be finding big enough sites for your whole crowd. Be prepared to split up for the night. I don't know about experienced paddlers taking the best sites. First-come-first-served, so if the first to arrive are complete noobs they get what they take.

Sounds like you're going in through Mowat Landing?
From there you can head through Lady Evelyn and get to Maple Mountain.
Continue S through to Diamond - I hear there a pictographs to be found.
Loop Wakimika to Obabika - Book Alex for a tour of the sights, old growth/Three Sisters, Grandfather & Grandmother Rock, Spirit Rock.
Up through Canton Lakes back to Diamond - First real portages? Not hard & in the right place for a trip with newbies.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

we are coming from southern Georgian Bay.
Our group is ten at most and I have found most campsites in the area are just big enough, they are students so they can be pushed around a bit that way.
I imagine the put in will be either the Temagami Access Point or, possibly Red Squirrel Rd. I am not sure a school bus can make it to the public put in next to Camp Wanapatei but Red Squirrel Lake is an option, if not.
I also thought Town of Temagami as a possible put in just to make the driving as simple as possible. They may be sharing a bus with a second large group, so that is still undetermined.
As for the experience level of the guides/chaperones, they are all experienced and have been to temagami before several times.
some more than others. Two,teachers of the program and myself each lead a group with the help of a chaperone who is there for safety and commiserating.
The students are very game and fit. I would be surprised if there will be a huge number of people around the beginning of June, but maybe so. I have never had to race to a campsite in temagami in 15 years but there is a first time for everything.the other issue is that the groups should not be seeing much of each other. Crossing paths is fine once or twice but we should never be camping next to each other. it affects the team building ad
versely. Too much distraction and gossip.
Personally, I would put in on the Chinguchi system but it is a bit too far to make it up and back in the time alloted for a large group.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 156
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

the canton lakes crossover can also be taken from sharp rock inlet-bob-obabika, some of the portages are strenuous but not technically difficult. it's a nice way to see the spirit rock (with a canoe).
another nice loop you could incorporate would be obabika-wakimika-dorothy-hortense-nasmith creek-obabika river and either directly back to obabika or down the river to wawiagama creek-wawiagama l.-obabika.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I wouldn't take a school bus past the Wanipitei turn off, if memory serves. No guarantee you'll be able to park it and very unlikely that you'll be able to turn around in the lot unless it's empty. Wanipitei would let you park if you rent your canoes there, or perhaps a nominal fee.

Sounds like you're well prepared for a great & safe trip!
 Link to this message

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 1:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If parking is considered to be a problem and If you don't mind your drivers doing a bit of a hike there is"unlimited parking space" for big units nearby at Liberty Lk.>.
Unload at the Sandy Inlet turn in, and by the time the kids have humped the gear and food packs down to the lake the drivers can have driven to Liberty, parked, and hiked back. Great first portage to start ... They may then become more appreciative after a few days of eating the weight down, then portaging the gradually diminishing supply. LOL! Have a great Trip!!!
 Link to this message

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I will be in diamond fishing June 23-29 stop by and say hi if that's when your going
 Link to this message

Post Number: 128

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2012 - 3:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

fireman and moose:
Please keep an eye out for Daniel. If you are not aware, he's been missing since Nov. 3, 2011. For details, see ALERT-Missing Person t&topic=3&page=71257

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home