Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 3, 2012 * Winter cabin in the woods for rent? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

hotplate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, January 1, 2012 - 9:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello all,

A group of friends and I have been renting a small, ski-in wood cabin near smoothwater for years and unfortunately it is not for rent this year. I thought i would post here to see if anyone has any suggestions for a group of 4-6 who are looking to get away from everyone, do a little ice-fishing, a bunch of skiing/snowshoeing and in general just explore the gorgeous winter temagami landscapes. The cabin only needs to be very bare-bones (basically a roof and foor walls) and reasonably easy to get to (approximately 4 -5 hour ski in).

Barring that we are also considering looking into a canvas tent and wood stove. Not sure if these are available for rent, how much, how big they are, if we have to carry them in, etc.

Any suggestions, experiences, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Brent
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1133

Posted on Monday, January 2, 2012 - 7:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you want to learn about winter trekking and how best to haul in a large canvas tent, stove other winter gear, etc. I would suggest you visit this site and read about techniques that are in use.
http://wintertrekking.com/
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, January 3, 2012 - 7:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I do not know what is available to rent in Temagami, but if you contact SnowForestAdventures, Craig Lawrence can help you out in Algonquin. The problem there for you will be no fishing is allowed.
Craig has several trapper tents set up on different campsites throughout the Sunday Lake region of the Park, all situated on a labyrinth of groomed dogsledding trails which are absolutely perfect for skiing or snowshoeing.
The tents have woodstoves, pots and pans, firewood and propane burners for melting water outside, along with shovels, axes, etc. Everything you need while you are camped. You provide food, plates, cups and bedding. The tents have a straw covered floor and come with numerous, high quality foam sleeping pads. One travels from campsite to campsite and only needs to carry their own gear. I do not believe he rents the tents to be travelled with as they are fairly complicated to set up.
It is necessary to speak to Craig and find out which sites are set up and available as he uses them for his dogsledding groups. I have used them in the past and they are fantastic. Craig is always in the area and he is a great guy.
It is not Temagami, but it is a great experience and not as far from southern Ontario.
There you go, Man. I also have a Baker Tent in my back 40 but it is just for drinking.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 320

Posted on Tuesday, January 3, 2012 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Try calling Camp Wanapitei, you can find their 1-800 number online. They have a cabin for rent and some great ski options. Not groomed at all, but everything from wide logging roads and snowmobile trails to summer hiking trails, to telemark. The issue there is usually transportation in, logistics vary from year to year depending on which logging roads get ploughed. Perhaps you can ski in from either Hwy 11 or from Bear Island and have them shuttle in your gear. If you luck out you might be able to drive in all the way, either on the Red Squirrel Road, or occasionally right up Lake Temagami if you dare and if conditions warrant.

The camp provides everything except bedding, food, and personal effects. Cabin is wood heated, propane lighting and stove, bunk beds, etc.

(Message edited by curly on January 3, 2012)
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, January 3, 2012 - 7:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

when you say near smoothwater i assume you mean the remote ski-in cabins (used to be 2) operated by smoothwater outfitters? how come they're not available?
 Link to this message

hotplate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, January 4, 2012 - 9:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks everyone for the information. i am now confident we will find a good substitute. As for smoothwater...i am not sure why they aren't available? They just said they weren't?

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home