Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 3, 2012 * Temagami - Laniel Canoe Route < Previous Next >

Link to this message

manitu

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 2:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is it still possible to canoe from Lake Temagami to Laniel via Snake, Four Bass, Matibitchuan River? I have not seen this route mentioned in any recent discussions. Thank you.

Jim B
Willoughby, OH Northwoods Camp (former)
SW Arm Lake Temagami
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

no problems as far as fourbass, which includes the upper part of the matabitchuan. i'm sure the rest of it down to the dam portage is ok as well, but i can't say how many people still use the "indian portage" from lake temiskaming up to the big falls on the kipawa- as you probably know it is very long and uphill...
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 321

Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 9:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wabun used the Indian Portages last year.
 Link to this message

manitu

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2012 - 7:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you grncnu and curly - much appreciated. Can you tell me approximately where the dam is located on the Matabitchuan or source information for GPS coordinates?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1386

Posted on Friday, January 20, 2012 - 9:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The entire route from Temagami to Laniel continues to be used by Temagami camps. The dam is the outlet of Fourbass Lake. There are, in fact, two dams. The northern diversion dam and the southern penstock/powerhouse dam. You want to portage on the road that starts at the south side of the southern dam. It is pretty straightforward getting from Temagami to Lake Timiskaming.

It can be a little trickier on the First Indian Portage, the one out of Timiskaming, due to the proverbial menace: logging.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home