Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 3, 2012 * Reality Check for Solo Trip < Previous Next >

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 129

Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 2:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello,

I'm planning a solo Temagami trip in May. This is in addition to my group trip to the Sturgeon in July. Does anyone see any issues or have any recommendations/comments on the trip below?

Mowat Landing.
Day 1. Lady Evelyn Lake
Day 2. Lady Evelyn River (South Channel)
Day 3. Katherine Lake/Shangri La
Day 4. Rest or buffer
Day 5. Frank Falls
Day 6. Hobart Lake
Day 7. Anvil Lake
Day 8. Bergeron Lake
Day 9. Greenwater Lake
Day 10. Mendelssohn Lake
Day 11. Indian Lake
Day 12. Mowat Landing

Thanks

(Message edited by Yellowcanoe on February 13, 2012)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1394

Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 8:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The vast majority, or maybe everybody, go up the North Channel and down the South, as it is that much easier.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 130

Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, Brian.
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2012 - 1:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I can't speak to the part on the Lady Evelyn River, but even allowing for a hike up Maple Mountain, you've got more than enough time allocated to the back part of the Maple Mtn loop. Last time I did it, we went from Mendelssohn Lake back to Mowats in one push - the Montreal River is pretty boring and there aren't a lot of campsites.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

i actually disagree with the consensus, i.e. up the n.l.e down the s.l.e. since (especially if the rocks are wet) it is easier to keep your footing going UP as opposed to DOWN. therefore the more difficult portages (especially fat man's & bridal veil) on the s.l.e. are best done uphill.
an added advantage is that on a busy day you aren't constantly travelling the same direction as everyone else, getting bunged up on portages, etc...
i agree you should go mendelsohn-mowat in one go. the old campsite on the montreal at indian lake was pretty well trashed the last time i saw it.
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 9:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

yes, I have done that same trip. Very true that it is easier to go up the north channel LER compared with the south. Most of that is the shallow rapids located downstream of Fat Mans portage. That can be a slow go although depending on season you can track the canoe up without much trouble. I'd be tempted to do it that way too even though up the north and down the south may be a little eaiser.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 3:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

that is a good point about the tracking, i'd forgotten that i once dumped a fully loaded canoe in there going upstream... something about me not wanting to get my feet wet and atempting to do it from shore...
this could obviously be a bigger issue solo and in may.
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I went up there solo on another trip and yes it is a slow go in the spring but enjoyable if prepared for it. I was stepping on suckers....a vast run of them,,,,so many that all you could see were fish !

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home