Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 3, 2012 * South end of Graymud Lake into Makobe Lake viable? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 131

Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 7:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is the 3575 KM portage from the south end of Graymud Lake into Makobe Lake viable? It appears on Route #12 of Hap's map. I am considering a 13-day route that combines the Maple Mountain route with the Lady Evelyn/Makobe Route. I'd come down from Mendelssohn to Hobart/Sucker Gut/North Channel and up through Grays/Makobe Rivers.

I'm more interested in paddling Makobe Lake than Graymud Lake. One poster suggested that he did ths portage successfully in 2004, but it's not completely clear if this is the case.

I still need to work out suitable take in/take out and the possibility of a shuttle.

(Message edited by yellowcanoe on February 16, 2012)

(Message edited by yellowcanoe on February 16, 2012)
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 9:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

last time we did a makobe loop trip we left the car and put in at a trailer camp about 1/3 of the way up elk lake. the owner was very accommodating and refused to accept any payment. if you're doing a shuttle this might be an easier spot than mowat landing as it's just off the highway.
have not done that portage but there is an easy short one into makobe from banks lake.
since there isn't much in the way of camping on the grays, consider a side trip to bercole lake which is accessible via a small creek off the river. there is no established campsite but you can easily bushwhack up the central hill to unlimited space in the woods.
total isolation guaranteed!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1136

Posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There are 2 campsites on Grays Lake. I don't recall them being too shabby.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

that's true, but grays lake itself is kind of uninspiring, whereas bercole lake is one of the most beautiful small lakes in the region- highly recommended if you don't mind climbing up a pretty steep hill for a tent site.
hap wilson's old guide shows a campsite on the shore but to the best of my knowledge, and after an hour of searching in rapidly disappearing daylight, it does not exist in this universe.
and i should add that this is the only "mistake" i've ever come across in the guide! it even ocurred to me that possibly wilson deliberately inserted this "mistake" (in order to get people to go to bercole lake)...
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 132

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've also read in a number of places that Makobe Lake is underrated (I think brian mentioned this). Bercole sounds good, also.

Meanwhile, I'm still deliberating between this loop or a Smoothwater/Sturgeon/Obabika/Nasmith/Florence/Smoo thwater loop. ... Sigh...
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1137

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The campsite in Wilson's book on Bercole was an old nastawgan site and appears on the Craig MacDonald Map.It has probably grown over with brush and treefalls from lack of use.
Bercole was used as a fly in lake, but removed for aircraft use, when the park management plan was approved.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home