Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Weekend Trips < Previous Next >

Link to this message

spiritofnature

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi

I Have just moved to North Bay and I am going to make as many trips to Temagami as I can. It is right on my back door, I can feel it calling me. I have weekends free to trip mostly. I was wondering of any weekend trips that could be done. I would like to base camp and explore.

Thanks S.O.N.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 54

Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 7:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Spiritofnature:
Do you have a Temagami Canoe Routes Planning Map?
If not you should get a copy from one of the Outdoor stores in North Bay and take a look at it.
There are several weekenders you could take that start off close to the Highway, yet let you get away from it for a few days and do a circle loop.
Or you could access one of the interior lakes, off Temagami and sit there for the weekend.There are lot's of choices.

You need to tell us how much tripping experience you have and I am sure some of could help you choose a trip(s).
You might also want to purchase Hap Wilson's new book which is due out in a few weeks. There is a brief write up about it on this site at:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Wilson/sneak.ht m

Regards
 Link to this message

spiritofnature

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank You for suggesting the palnning map. It's great

I would also like to purchase Hap Wilsons new book. Anyone know the release date. I have lots of tripping experience, I have hiked and backpacked quite extensively, on some tough trails, e.g. Silhouette in Killarney but never really did any canoeing, but started recently and love it. Before I moved away I was really getting into canoeing, I did horrible routes, I went with a buddy for my first time up Opimika creek, what a disaster. Anyways I would consider myself a novice paddler but I am a experienced outdoors person.. I am looking for spots that are out of the way where I can just sit and enjoy the beauty. I have a 4X4 Vehicle so I dont mind travelling logging roads.

Thanks S.O.N
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 56

Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 6:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Spirit....:
You could try the Matabitchuan. Get in at Rabbit Lake off #11, at the access point A off the side road North of Angus, go down the river to Fourbass, then Cooper, Glassford, Maxam etc.

Or.... go in the Temagami Mine Road( Central Access Road off of #11 and do the Iceland route, into Driftwood, Wasaksina, Denedus, Shiningwood Bay and up the North East Arm to Iceland Creek and back to the access road.

If you don't mind motor boats go to Sturgeon Falls and the up 805 to Emerald Lake and camp there for the weekend. If you don't like motorboats go further up the 805 bearing left towards Wawiagama Lake and park near the gate on the road. Go up the road a bit to the portage and go either Left to Wawiagama or go Right into Obabika(one or 2 or 3 motor boats maybe from the Lodge on the South end of Obabika or maybe none)
As you can appreciate, there are lots of other routes.

Those would be my suggestions, but others may have some advice.
Regards.

Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 45

Posted on Wednesday, June 2, 2004 - 8:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just heard that Haps new book is out and people that have ordered it on Amazon are now receiving thier copy.
Bill
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 212

Posted on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hillbilly, you have introduced a new topic that would be best in another thread.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home