Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Best route for moose < Previous Next >

Link to this message

titeuf

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 8:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello All.
I am taking a European colleague and her family for a week long trip in late July (3-4 adults and 2 children aged 10 and 12). I have a fair bit of canoing experience but they do not so this cannot be too rough. Anyway, they would really like the 'all Canadian experience' of seeing moose from the canoe. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a route with best chance of seeing moose and other wildlife.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 165

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 1:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sighting a moose is just pure luck while on a canoe trip. About the only place I can think of that has been consistently successful for me is an area you've eliminated by avoiding difficult routes. The whole Florence Lake area has always been a hot spot. Don't think I've ever been there without seeing moose.

Certainly wetlands are prime and in July the moose are trying to get out of the bush to avoid the flies and can be found feeding on water lily roots. I think you'll just have to hope for luck wherever you go.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 60

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Titeuf:
I would agree with Brian, North or South of Florence is a good place to see Moose,but this is probably too far out of the way for you with children along.

Let me offer this suggestion.

Consider going into the Lady Evelyn Lake at Mowat Landing and travel West to Sucker Gut. Go up to Hobart and do the Maple Mountain trip. On your way back, leave Hobart early in the morning and go into the creek that leads to Chris Willis, a large flat raised bog that might have some Moose walking on it. You may get lucky. From there you have several options to return to Mowat depending on how many days you have left. You could go to Chris Willis and Frank's Falls if there is enough water in the creek. Or go back out the way you came and down through sucker Gut, taking the 2 portages into the lower part of the Lady Evelyn and return to Mowat or go part way up the LE and go into Sugar Lake et al and back that way.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home