Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Finding a campsite < Previous Next >

Link to this message

terry

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, everyone. This is my first post to this wonderful site, as prep for my first trip to Temagami (of many many, I'm sure). I've surfed many websites but can't find the answer to one question: if you can't reserve campsites (or even lakes, as done in Algonquin), does one just gamble when it comes to finding a place to end your paddle every day?

Obviously you're best to avoid the busy spots in July and August, an issue I'll address in a separate thread. But say I do want to see Lake Temagami in July, for example, have I much to fear about not finding a campsite and having to paddle much further (and later) than intended daily?

The canoe trip planning map (which I understand will be updated this summer) identifies campsites. Are there any tips for knowing how to get one during busy season? Is the best solution simply to start early each day so that you can end early and 'get there first' to get a campsite? I prefer not to have to end my paddling day at 3 pm.

I love the idea of Temagami's 'wild park' atmosphere, but if it really gets crowded in the summer months, that could be a drawback. Am I too city-slick, hugging my Algonquin lake-by-lake reservation as assurance that I won't have to paddle another hour at the end of a tiring day?

...Terry
 Link to this message

paul_mclaren

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Terry

No cannot reserve campsites or Lakes in Temagami (and truthfully I home you never will be able to) you basically have to hope that no is going to be at the site you picked.

What we usually do is plan our trip out ahead of time and try and to pick places we know there are 2 or more sites to stay at for the night. Chances are you will get one. Or be prepared to share. Most people on the lake are pretty friendly.

We have been camping in Temagami for years now and have never had problems finding a site for the night.

-P-

Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 28

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 5:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Terry,
In all the years that I have canoed in Temagami, I have never found a problem finding a campsite open on the lake or river I was on and in the area I wanted. Only once I have had to share a campsite with another group and that was last year and I was windbound when got to the end of the portage and could not go any further.
Bill
 Link to this message

bob

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 5:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Terry.
It has been my experience( 8yrs canoe tripping, 10yrs forest tech., 46yrs on the lake) that there is no problem finding a campsite as long as you don't push it to the end of the day. Stay away from camping at the end of portages. It helps to plan ahead with a good map but if you can't find a site, there are sites where you can set up your own depending on the size of your party and impact the site as little as possible. I never have and never will share a site with anybody as there is plenty of land to camp on and I don't feel sorry for people that can't find a site because they are windbound. If anybody is canoeing in the remote of northern Ontario, they must be prepared to make camp anywhere if they have to because this ain't the Hilton. It's better!!!
 Link to this message

paul_mclaren

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 9:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Terry.
Don't let Bob Scare you, many of us who grew up in this area are friendly and usually willing to share sites/and help out someone in dire straights :-) some of us even like meeting new people.
Paul

Link to this message

bob

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Terry.
Pauls right. Don't let me scare you. I too will always help somebody in need. It's the code.
Respect for other peoples space and privacy is usually appreciated. I have run into problems with fishermen over the years that do not understand this concept. Have a nice trip.
 Link to this message

terry

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you all for your reassurances. That's great news!
...Terry

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home