Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Avoiding congested routes < Previous Next >

Link to this message

terry

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, everyone. I'm planning my first 6-8 day trip to Temagami with my wife, and I'm wondering if anyone can offer us some route advice. We're looking at around July 11-18, and again around August 8-15 (hey, any advice on how to convince one's spouse that the skeeters in June won't completely drain you?). Of course, July/August is busy season and our goal is to find some quiet paddling zones, with less people and definitely with less or no motorboats.

Ottertooth's 'Congestion' and 'Popular Routes' web pages are a great start for us, and we don't mind starting/ending somewhere other than Temagami lake. We'll be driving from Ottawa so we don't mind an extra hour or two. We'll carry the full trip's food and fuel, so we don't need to restock anywhere.

We're seasoned Algonquin trippers, but not comfortable (yet) with class II and III rapids. Our Swift Mattawa can handle them, but being kevlar, it wants to wait until we can handle them too!

We're both quite fit 45 year olds (Diane does marathons, and we're both climbing the CN Tower tomorrow for World Wildlife Fund), but we're not the "let's see how far we can push ourselves each day" type. Getting into a remote area and staying a day or two at the same camp, with day-outings, is a nice treat, but we'll move daily if that gives us the most beautiful and tranquil sites.

We like hiking too, so we don't mind lots of portages, or long ones. We'd like to avoid the cost of flights if possible, but we can if that's your strongest recommendation.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!!
...Terry
PS Can't wait till Hap's new book is out!
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 27

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 5:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Terry, There are many routes to pick from. One way to keep away from motor boats is to plan to do most of your trip in one ormore of the wilderness provincial parks in Temagami. Check out the Temagami Home Page, go to your local library and pick up Hap Wilson's old book, "Temagami Canoe Routes" or wait for Hap's new book to be in ready in May.
One suggestion is to start on the Montreal River and go south on climb Ispatina Ridge and find one of the routes from there to finish off your trip.
Bill
 Link to this message

rryan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Although the North and South Channels of the Lady Evelyn River are extremely beautiful, they are extremely popular as well, especially within your alotted time frame.
I would suggest going up to Makobe Lake... the 4,000 yard portage usually keeps people away. The lake is beautiful. Also, Sunnywater is absolutely gorgeous. Are you looking to do a loop?
If you want, go up to Makobe, then cut over to the Lady Evelyn River. That's a good 8 days, if you move fast. It might be easier if you started at Lady Evelyn Lake to do that trip. Go up the North Channel to Macpherson, then go up Gray's Creek to just before Graymud Lake. Then take the 4,000 yarder into Makobe. From Makobe, you go up an unnamed creek at the western edge of Makobe(just after the narrows) which takes you to Trethewey Lake(via several portages). From Trethewey, you can get to the Lady Evelyn River two ways: you can take the creek out of the south end of Trethewey or portage to the road and follow the road to the river. From there, you'll hook up to the Lady Evelyn river (before it splits) and its good whitewater in highwater (which you could have in July) If you want trip notes, email me at r_ryan@coloradocollege.edu

Reed
 Link to this message

jbphd

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

to avoid crowds go in early june or in early september, otherwise skip Temagami and go to NW Ontario. I notice you are from Ottawa- the streach of the Ottawa River from the mouth of the DuMoine to Mattawa is less travelled in August than any part of Temagami! There are many small waterfalls coming in on the quebec side. Perhaps it is the upstream travel that keeps people a way.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 63

Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Terry:
I have been looking at your request and the responses.
Please let me add my 2 cents.
You could drive from Ottawa to Elk Lake and take 560 West. There is a lumber road, known as the Liskeard
Road about 20 kliks out that goes South to LE SnoothwaterPP.
This road,surprisingly is no longer on the Ontario provincial Road Map at least it is not on the 2003 Map. If you take this road South you can go directly to Beauty Lake or Kaa or maybe even down to Gamble Lake and put in there.From Kaa you could then do a loop through Kaa, Barr, Wabun ,Sunnywater,Smoothwater then South to Scarecrow and up Ishpatina Ridge and then down to the Sturgeon and into Solace, then over to Bluesucker and up to Florence. North through Florence and up the LE River taking the North LE river to Gamble etc. and back to your vehicle. When you look at the planning map you will see that there are a few variations on this route, including going into some of the bigger lakes in the area to the east such as Trethewey etc and simply sitting there.

Now the route from Kaa lake to Barr is not on the planning map, but it is on the Nastawgan Map that is on this website. For a description of this route you might try going to www.willowmoor.com and poking around in there. Or try to contact Garrett Ephart at garrett@speakeasy.net and ask him about the Kaa route. He is out there somewhere, but may take a while to answer.

Also, to check out the access road from Elk Lake try to get in contact with Blackfly.

If Blackfly does not pick up on this then you could get his email address from the user list. He lives in the immediate area of Elk Lake and he knows more about the condition of the Liskeard Road that the rest of us do.

Now all of that as I laid it out might be a bit much for 6 to 8 days, but going in and sitting for some time in the area might work out for you.
Ed.
 Link to this message

terry

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions! I'll wait for Hap's new book before finalizing my plans, but I'm very grateful for all of you helping me out. (What a wonderful forum!)
...Terry

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home