Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Backcountry User Maintenance * Archive through April 26, 2004 < Previous Next >

Link to this message

c_mel

Post Number: 35

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 8:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Some friends and I are planning on travelling the Lady Lake and River this spring. We are also thinking about installing a couple more T-boxes in the area. Does anyone have any recommendations for where they are needed most on the lake? We were also talking about lugging one up to Centre Falls as the campsite there really needed one last time through. Did the MNR do any crap-crate placement when they pulled the bridge?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 164

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 1:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I doubt they did do anything at Centre besides taking out the bridge.

Two thoughts come to mind. Ontario Parks will now start doing all this in the park areas this summer, so wouldn't your energy be better spent on places outside of the parks?
Given Parks sensitivity to those who do these things inside parks without coordinating with them, are you going to contact them?
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 26

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 1:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

good couple of points. I don't think we even considered this.
Have to re-evaluate.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 59

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 2:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I asked John Salo about this a few months ago, suggesting that I was interested in trying out some plastic drums cut in half with a seat on the enclosed end, thinking that if it worked and didn't deteriorate too readily in the environment, that it would be a low cost lightweight portageable option for putting lots of them out there.

Needless to say he was not interested and thought the expensive cedar ones to be more preferable.

I agree with Brian, I would put them at needy spots outside of the park and put the boots to mnr to get their preferred version inside the park.
 Link to this message

tripper_dave

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

quote:

Needless to say he was not interested and thought the expensive cedar ones to be more preferable.

Another example of our hard earned tax dollars intellegently spent.

A T-Box is IMHO preferable at any site regardless if it's made from plastic or cedar. It sure beats the heck out of the squat method of relief that can leave white flags everywhere.

I thought your idea of the plastic barrel (re)use as a T-Box was a good one Ed. Too bad the MNR didn't see it that way.

Dave

(Message edited by tripper_dave on April 24, 2004)
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 30

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 1:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

McCowpie Crapper Company.

Ed and I are collaborating on the construction of the introductory plastic prototype model.

Ed has the half drum and I have the seat and lid.

It will be an engineering marvel.

The model 001 will feature a a detachable journal entry feature.This will allow the "user" to record their experience.This information could prove to be valuable as a field research tool.

Not sure where we are going to test it before placement on the site?

Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 2:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It would seem to me that recycling old plastic barrels that would otherwise end up in a landfill somewhere,makes more sense than using wood products to construct a thunderbox.
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 9

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 2:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Not only is this easy to portage, it's virtually bearproof.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 31

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 3:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Beauty!

but....

I would want my food barrel a different colour than blue.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 64

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 3:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

TSM:
That is definitely a portage friendly defecation unit. Maybe a bit too portable.

I think we will test number 1 unit in the Leslie Frost Forest soon. Oh Oh, maybe we should skip number 1 and call it the number 2 unit so that we start off naming it properly.
I can see we are going to have a lot of fun with this thread.

Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 29

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 4:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Kim & Ed,
I can get you as many plastic drums as you can ever install this summer. Let me know if you need any and I will bring them home from work and we can arrange for them to get to you. These plastice drums are 205 lt.(45 I.gal), not like tsm has shown us.
Bill
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 65

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hillbilly:
I am going to buy one of those large ones this week from the local drum guy and work through the mechanics of making one of these things to see what problems occur. We will then do some product field testing to see what modifications might be required to meet the fitness for use criteria, for such a device.If it works out then we will take you up on your offer. Maybe by mid summer we might be in a position to make a few more prototypes.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 172

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I hope you are considering a backrest, arms and footrest.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 32

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Damn!
The drawings must have been released to the public somehow!
There goes the chance of securing a patent!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 66

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes Brian and a magazine rack as well, with up to date copies in it.

There is a box on the island in Turner Lake that sits up high on the East side of the island. It has a magnificent view of the lake and a nice built up series of rocks to rest your feet on. Unfortunately no back rest. But the view is excellent. The best I have come across while seated out there.
I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the area. Now that is a testimonial.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home