Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Thoughts for Trip next year (Isolated) < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yep,

Already planning...

Well after a beautiful canoe trip (7 days) this year thru Diamond, Obabika, Obabika Inlet and back down the Temagami, Cross and Red Cedar, I am already planning next year’s trip. Although we loved this trip, there was way too much traffic and paddlers. We are now looking for some isolation, quiet rivers and smaller lakes…(paddling the Temagami and dealing with winds and boats are not top of mind).

Here is the beginning of a plan (thoughts appreciated):

By plane or by drop off, take in some of either the North or South Lady Evelyn river head to Florence (a must). Then either take the Sturgeon all the way down to River Valley or all the way down to Field/Sturgeon Falls

Or from Florence head down the Yorkston River (yes I have heard it can get very low and it’s a tough slog – that’s ok we enjoy some of that) In 2005 we went UP the Sturgeon River from River Valley(ouch!!!!) and then take the Sturgeon to River Valley/Field/Sturgeon or potentially take the Sturgeon to Grassy Lake/Manitou/Gull Skunk and then Temagami to Cross and then Red Cedar to Island Lake where we have a camp. Preference is to stay away from big lakes, high traffic areas and have access to lots of good fishing.

The trip would be in August/September next year and would be 7-10 days. We normally cover 30-35K a day up or down river. Thoughts appreciated.
 Link to this message

cabot

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good question Bigwolf,

you might want to consider pushing your trip date back to mid/last Sept. this is when my partner and i do our trips. the weather is somewhat unsettled this time of year, of course, maybe its always unsettled in Temagami, and you will get a hard frost , which makes things pretty chilly (ok cold).
the benefits of traveling this time of year is that the water is still warm, there's not a bug, except for dragon's to be found, and the sun still has lots of heat – if its out. In our experience, once off the high travel routes and off the weekend, there is no one around.

im pretty sure we have lucked into the low human traffic because of the late(ish) season, rather than the routes we picked. purhapes people with more experience might comment on this.
is the last week of August still high season or are things slowing down?

moyra
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 620

Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The last week of August is still high season, but off its high-season peak.

If you don't mind the portaging, and you don't seem to, consider going to Florence via Wakimika, Dorothy, Pinetorch and Ames. That's isolated, and wild. Then you could head to the Sturgeon via Solace or Yorston (by way of Bluesucker).

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home