Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 3, 2012 * Smoothwater/Sturgeon/Nasmith Loop? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 135

Posted on Monday, February 20, 2012 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Everyone,

Thanks for everyone's replies to my other possible routes. I think I'm a bit closer now. This solo route is for late May. Timewise, is this a decent trip without completely killing myself?

1. Smoothwater
2. Scarecrow
3. Twin Falls, Ghoul Lake
4. Kettle Falls, Sturgeon River
5. The Gorge, Sturgeon River
6. Upper Goose Falls
7. Obabika River
8. Nasmith to Lahay
9. Dorthy
10. Chapin
11. Beaver
12. Lewbert
13. Florence
14. Florence River to Smoothwater
15. Out.

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1138

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 7:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I tried to respond to this last night but it failed to post.

I think your proposal looks good up to Upper Goose Falls.

You then travel to Obabika River and where do you plan to stay that night?
Travel upstream on the Obabika is very slow in the spring. To go from the small campsite just above the Falls to Wawiagama River will take about 3 hours, due to current and a few obstructions that do not appear on any trip descriptions.

It would be a long day to the Lumber camp that has an open area to pitch a tent on.

Were you going up Nasmith Creek off the Obabika or through the chain of lakes to Lahay ?

From Lahay to Dorothy will be a fairly long day. Unless someone has been through and cleared away the log jams north of the Cascades you will have to portage around those. Not sure how many are there now but maybe a dozen.

You could go into Dorothy to camp or camp on the portage beside the creek or go further and camp on the road closer to the Nasmith Creek portage going up to Chapin.

From Chapin to Beaver to Lewbert looks reasonable, but going from Florence to Smoothwater in 1 day seems like a stretch as you will be going upstream in fairly shallow water in places.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 8:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

for what it's worth we have gone dorothy to obabika via lahay in a day but that was downstream in low water. however, this was some time ago and at least half the logjams were "draggable" and did not have to be portaged. as usual it's all about current conditions...
of course you could avoid most of th upstream travel by going obabika river-wawiagama-obabika-wakimika-dorothy, but that would probably end up taking the same amount of time (but more campsites).
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 144

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 9:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, ed and grncnu - I've adjusted the route based on your feedback. Please let me know what you think:

1. Smoothwater
2. Scarecrow
3. Twin Falls, Ghoul Lake
4. Kettle Falls, Sturgeon River
5. The Gorge, Sturgeon River
6. Upper Goose Falls
7. Wawiagama
8. Obabika
9. Wakimika (or Sylvester)
10. Dorothy
11. Chapin
12. Beaver (or Lewbert)
13. Florence
14 Florence
15. South Lady Evelyn River to Whitemud (camp)
16. Smoothwater

(Message edited by yellowcanoe on April 12, 2012)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home