Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 3, 2012 * Temagami to obabika < Previous Next >

Link to this message

andrew1234

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2012 - 9:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi. I am planning a small canoe trip for may 24 weekend. We are planing on launching at the road access near camp adanac and are cutting straight accross and portaging into obabika lake. So my question is: Aproximately how long of a paddle is it from camp adanac to obabika lake?
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2012 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

this totally depends on a) how fast you paddle, b) winds, and c) correct navigation through the islands, which may depend on b).
including the portage i would say 4 to 8 hours for most people. obabika inlet can be a struggle to get up in a strong west wind.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1147

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 7:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have done it many times in the other direction from Ranger Point on Obabika to the Access Road.
Under many different conditions ~5-6 hours usually did it for me. A bit longer going solo.

I was sitting on Ranger Point early in May one year, by myself when a lone kayaker passed by. I found out the next day that he had got on the train from Toronto, travelled to Temagami,arriving mid-late morning, walked across the road and rented a Kayak, paddled the East Arm to Obabika and passed by Ranger Point on his way to Pine Point, by about 4:30 PM.
If you want speed, that is clearly the way to go on the lakes.
 Link to this message

andrew1234

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2012 - 8:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks for the reply guys.

Further research, I learned that there is a road access to Obababika but I also learned that that road is closed. From what I understand there is also a lodge on that lake with road access there as well? Is this a private road or can I use it?
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2012 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/Access/rou nd-lk.htm

self explanatory

(Message edited by canoedog on March 16, 2012)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home