Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Spring Trip Advice?? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

brando

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

This will be our first trip to the Temagami area so any info will be greatly appriciated.

We are looking for first and formost some good Brooke trout fishing. Secondly we are looking for something remote with little or now traffic. It will be about a 5 or 6 day trip aswell.

We were thinking of Smith Lake, but I read on a board here that it's hard to portage into and it has been quite heavily fished. In the Lady Evelyn Lake area would be preferred but it could be any where in the area as long as the fishing is good.

Suggestions please and thank you.

(Message edited by brando on November 26, 2006)
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 86

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

brando
Longpoint Airways has a camp on Smith Lake,
http://www.flyinfishingontario.com/smithlake/
so it may not offer the "remoteness" and quality fishing you seek. We flew with Longpoint on our trip into Scarecrow this summer BTW......excellent service and great people!
If a place in the Temagami area does exist....great brookie fishing and remoteness, it'll probably be a closely guarded secret.
The Lady Evelyn does offer some opportunities for speckles, but I would recommend going in the early season, preferably before the black flies are out.
I've only been on the river in late August...not the best time to fish for specks. I did manage to catch a few below the waterslide at Centre Falls however.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 88

Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lots of speck lakes in the area...just not sure how many have a good portage into them for you. Get yourself the "Fishing in the Temagami District" map and see if you can plan something out. I'll be doing it the easy way this summer...looking for a nice speck lake...by dropping in from the sky and fly fishing off the float. Just hope I can get back out as most are pretty small lakes.
 Link to this message

lal

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Longpoint airways closed and I hear will not open for the 2007 season.
 Link to this message

brando

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does anyone know where I could get this map?? Fishing in the Temagami District. Is it put out by the MNR??
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 89

Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

U can buy it from the Chamber of Commerce. But nobody ever seems to reply thru the whole winter and I waited last year 'till after the May 24 weekend before my map orders came that I'd promised others in time for ice out. Also would be available from Jim at Dad's Outdoors I bet.

jim@dadstemagami.ca

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home