Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Spring Trip, looking for advice and/or partner < Previous Next >

Link to this message

rob_in_angus

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, January 7, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am planning a trip for the first week of May. I am prepared to go solo if need be. This is my first canoe trip in Temagami save the gathering in Spetember.
Here are my parametres

I am a novice river traveller.

I would like to make a trip of six days.

I want to make a trip to Maple Mountain

I would sure like to stop at Alex's cabin to say hi as well.

Should be a loop or if somebody is interested in coming along we could make it a non-loop with a shuttle.

Judging by the winter we are having so far I have no fear of the lakes still be iced in.

Any suggestions or reccomendations?
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 11

Posted on Sunday, January 7, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rob - possibilities are endless...
First off - get Hap's book - tons of route ideas.
Secondly - I regularly paddle Temagami in early May; ice should't be a problem.

Off the top of my head... I'd suggest starting at Red Squirrel Lake, head North through Carrying, Mclean, Anima Nipissing lakes, then West through Whitewater and a chain of lakes into Lady Evelyn, from there through Diamond, Wakimika, Obabika (stop and visit with Alex), then get back onto Temagami and return to Red Squirrel.
--Should keep you busy for 5 days.
The route could also be extended by a number of side trips off Lady Evelyn if need be.
The possibilities really are endless...
Enjoy, planning's half the fun.
Mike
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 385

Posted on Monday, January 8, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rob:
An alternate would be to start at Sandy Inlet on Ferguson Bay. Assuming you arrive late in the afternoon via RSR, camp on the beach or in the bush if it is windy. Early the next day travel west over Napoleon Portage into Whitefish Bay then through Sharp Rock and into Diamond. Stay on Diamond in the North Arm for Day 1. Go into LEL and portage into Willow travelling to Hobart. A long Day 2 if you are solo.
Go up to Maple Mt. via Tupper and back through Hobart ( about 4.5 to 5 hours travel time to go up the mountain and back to Hobart) in the afternoon going north through Sucker Gut into North LEL and heading back south towards Diamond, for a long Day 3. Paddle south on LEL back into Diamond, Day 4. Stay on Diamond and either go west into Wakimika to Obabika if you have time or into Bob and Shish Kong to Obabika.
(If you are running out of time go east into Temagami and back to Sandy Inlet). Stay on Obabika for Day 5.Another long solo day.
Travel south on Obabika through Obabika Inlet portage, to the Eye Lake area. Then go across Devil Bay portage into Devil Bay and cross to Ferguson Bay and Sandy Inlet for Day 6.

This will be a difficult solo trip in early May, as the weather can be unpredictable and more so if the wind is against you on the bigger lakes.
You can expect, beautiful sunny shirt sleave paddling weather one day and cold, miserable weather at -10ºC with snow or driving rain pellets the next day. Be prepared.

Link to this message

rob_in_angus

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great advice. Mike that trip through the "chain of lakes" has a crazy number of portages, I counted 15 portages. Sounds very challenging I like that idea. The more challenging the trip, the more rewarding.

I may have somebody who is interested so I was thinking a shuttle from RSR to Mowat Landing may open up some options. IS there somebody up there who will offer a shuttle service? How long of a drive is it between these two points. I know better than to look at a map of this area and estimate how lond it will take to drive. Soem roads only allow you to drive slightly faster than you can canoe!

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 647

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Temagami Outfitting operates shuttles.

http://www.icanoe.ca/
 Link to this message

rob_in_angus

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

My actual route changed quite a bit from the plan but here is the Trip Repot nonetheless.

The Arrival of Spring in Temagami 2007
by A Fat Out-of-Shape Guy

Day 1 - Getting There

Decide to head up early the previous night and stay at the Smoothwater Ecolodge. Last minute and late arrival seem to make for an awkward stay on their behalf. Sorry about that Caryn and Francis. i arrived at 915pm and the bed is warm and comforting. Little did I know this was that latest night I would have for the next week.

Day 2 - On the way

Have a good breakfast, head into Temagami for fuel, fishing liscence and a hat. I can't believe I forgot my fav hat.
I start up the Red Squirrel Road shortly after 9am and for Sandly Inlet. Now don't I spend close to 3 hours trying to find the put in. I am taking my truck up so crazy trails scrathing the hell out of it. No big deal it is only a 2 month old 2007 Tacoma >:-( I get frustrated and end up putting in at Red Squirrel Lake and push off just about noon. The weather is perfect and I have a few extra km's to put behind me.
The first portage is okay. I see a snake warming himself by the rocks. After the postage I am wiped. Yikes, I should have done a little training for this. I paddle my by Camp Wanapitei and into Sandy Inlet. The winds were from the North and the temps were still warm. I decide to change my route and head south with the winds and get the big lakes out of the way first while the winds are on my side.

I completely miss my "turrn off " into Pickerel Bay and end up camping way down by Devil Mountain. I am quite bushed after putting 16km and 1 portage under my belt. Campsite was huge and well used but mostly clean. Very pretty area.

Did a little fishing from shore. No luck.

Sleep that night was wonderful, except for the symphony of loons and ducks that were thunderous on the lake. Sounded like there must have been 50+ out there.

Day 3 - Take it to the limit

Beautiful morning. Take some shots of Devil Mountin before I head out. Just had to because of the name. I paddle by Keewaydin, the oldest Camp in North America and the holder of the largest fleet of Cedar Canvas Canoes. For more info you should check out www.ottertooth.com.

I was still quite spent from the previous day so I tell my self I am going to go as far as Obabika Inlet and camp there. Good day of paddling. Winds were kind and the nothing but pure blue skies.
When I enter Obaika Inlet it is obvious this area has been a recent victim of a fire. I very big one. I would guess by the size of the Birch trees about 10 years ago. I looked and felt different here. The winds begin to pick up and I paddle into them for the last part of my paddle.

I start looking for a campsite and the ones that are there are really poor, like not been used in a long time and oovergrown, no level tent pads and so on. I decide to make the portage into Obabika. By this time I am truly wiped. I carry the canoe only a few hundered metres and drop it. I carry on with the small kitchen pack. When I get to the end of the portage is find that I will be able to set up my tent there so I head back for the main pack. i leave my canoe. i am starving and realize I should have eaten long before now. I have no energy and struggle to set up camp and prepare supper. Once that is done I go back for the canoe.
When all is said and done I have travelled another 15km today. I lie in my tent in the later afternoon trying to recover and a Bald Eagle flies into the site. I hear it fisrt and as I am looking up through the door of the tent I see it. You can't mistake the white tail of a Bald Eagle.

I am actually officially "in bed" before sundown. Totally exhausted. I realize I am pushing myself too hard and promise myself that tommorrow I will paddle Obabika and then a short portage into Shish Kong and that it is it. I too alsoo realize the route I had originally planned may have been too ambitious. But we will see what tomorrow brings.

Day 4 - Face meet wind, wind meet face.

Winds are quite a bit stronger today and still from the north. It is quite cold again this morning. New MEC Cygnet sleeping bag works freaking amazing. Sleep with tent doors open and still manage to work up a sweat while sleeping. I make breakfast and pack up still feeling quite tired from the day before. I head out wondering if I should even be on the water in this wind.

The waves are getting big and the temps are not rising at all. I am wearing my touque and mitts, a sweater and jacket and still I am freezing cold. The wind is gusting and the waves are getting bigger. My Langford Prospector performs wonderfully in this weather. I don't know anything about measuring wind speeds or wave height but the winds were such that if ou stopped paddling for a moment you would be instantly stopped and if you waited too long would be going along at a good pace in the wrong direction. he waves were such that the front of the canoe, which was nose heavy to adjust for the head wind, would come out of the water and crash down with a big splash.

I pass Grandmother and Grandfather rocks and I am unalbe to take pictures becaseu of the wind and waves. Camera is safely stowed away in case of upset. In hind site it wouldn't have really mattered because if I tipped I would have almost certainly died and then who really cares about the camera.

I make it as far as Ranger Point and lad there for a rest and to warm up. I make a fire oon the south beach away from the wind. Temps are still only about 4C and I figure with the wind the WCF is well below 0C. Ranger point is a nice site ans the the thunderbox is comical. There is a sign announcing it as the 2004 Winner of the the Best Thunder Box of Obabika award. Another intersting thing is the clock on the beach. a stick in the ground and 3 other sticks around it. According to the clock it was around 930am.

I decide to head back out and finish the trip up Obabika. I also decide to skip the visit to Alex Mathias. I just didn't see crossing to the west side of Obabika and then back in that wind. When I finally do reach the north end I am absolutely done physically and mentally. The wind has taken a toll on an already tired body. I rest up a tad and begin the tortuous task fo posrtaging into Shish Kong. There was no way I was going to come this far and not spend the night at this site. I was kinda the main focus of the trip.

For those of you who don't know this portage it is very steep and and seems to up and up and up and up some more. Probably not a tough as the picture I have seen of Diablo but those who have done both may be able to let me know how they compare. I actually triple carry this portage. Canoe, Main pack and kitchen pack.

I am really hoping that when I het Shish Kong the small lake will be sheltered from the wind. Wrong! Shish Kong is striaght cliff on one side and the winds seem to hit the rock face and drive it down onto the lake. I only had a few hundered metres to paddle to the only site on the lake but I struggled with it.

I have reached a new level of exhausted. The wind has beaten me. I was ready to go home. Right then. Right now. I was so tired I was unalbe to eat my supper. I ate about half. i even manged Bannock on stick and I love bannock but was simply not able to eat much of it at all.

Plus side was the site was beautiful. There was a stack of cut and chopped firewood including kindling and and stash of birch bark safely stowed in the middle. Despite being so tired I felt the spirit of Temagami in this spot. For those that have not been here, to camp amongst old growth forests looking across and an impressive rock face with a highly spirittual Anishinabe spiritual monolith looking down upon ou is an incredible feeling. I consider paddling back out to Alex Mathias's place the next moring and requesting a flight out despite all this becasue I am so tired. I am in bed well before sundown.

Day 5 - Rebirth
I wake and there is a good coating of frost on the tent. I am feeling still lightheaded and weak. I eat a good breakast and break camp and decide to head on. I drink directly from the lake. i have done it before in this lake and feel there is something about the water that sits below such an symbol. There is about a 250m paddle to the portage into Mud Lake. It is an absolutely beautiful trail. It is difficult with some new challenges such as deep water holes to cross and rugged terrain. Somebody has cut a new trail about 2/3's of the way through it. The old trail would have resulted in knee deep water and waist deep much at the end. Insted there is a great littel bridge going out past the mud to shere the lake become a lake again. After doing the portage I feel rejuvenated. I am ready for the next short one less than 1km away.

The second portage is equally stunning. The take out is over a mat of floating moss. It was like walking on a sponge but one that was floating on the water. When you took a step your foot would siink about 4 inches and the ground would go up and down 5 feet away from you. Creepy feeling worring about breaking through and into whatever below.

I push off into Bob Lake and the weather is amazing. Bob Lake is stunning. I take my time and make sure I eat my lunch before taking on the 1200m portage into Diamond Lake. I eat my pemmican bar with 1 litre of water. This seems to do the trick becasue I take on the portage with a new kind of enthusiasm. I come across a big blow down and cut is away with my new Gerber saw. So not only am I portaging I am cutting up trees and doing it happily. What is with this energy and new spirit. Is it the night under Shish Kong? Is it the Pemmican Bar? Is is the drink out of the lake? Is it I am finally getting into shape? Whatever it is it seems to be working.

I reach Diamond Lake and and so tempted to go for a swim. I decide against it. I notice alot of fresh Wolf scat around. Old stuff too. This area seems to be a popular spot for wolves. Diamond is another beautiful lake. I paddle to the last camp site before the portage into Sharp Rock Inlet.

I make camp, build a new fire pit, strip naked and wash my underwear(I know gross but it is a reailty I have never expereienced before on a trip.) I sat naked on the rock overlooking Diamond Lake eating some GORP and that is when I notice it. The pale green haze in the Birch Trees. What was dull and gray before now has a new colour giving it a life. Spring had officially arrived in Temagami and I was ther to witness it. I was ready to give up the day before and now I feel like I am in the best place on the planet doing the only thinbg I ever wanted to do. Shangri-La!!

I have a good supper of Hamburger Soup and then do a little fishing. I actually caught a big fat Bass. The lunker has swallowed my whole freaking lure and now I have to get the thing out of it's mouth. I am sad to say the fish did not survive. I put it is the water and it swam away, then 2 minutes later there it was floating. Damn! I quickly pinched the barbs off my lures. I am so lousy at fishing I wonder why I even bother.

I retire early again but feeling good. I read that dreaded book I brought along and go to sleep once the light is too dim to read. The book I brought is called Highland Clearances. I am going to Scotland next week and Erhard Kraus was kind enought to lend some of his books he read before he went. Sorry Erhard that is an interesting topic but the book reads like a text book. if you read tat whole thing good for you but I am not sure I am going to make it through. Zzzzzzz!

Day 6 - Windbound!

I wake and still feel good. I am optimistic about the day ahead. Maybe even get back to the truck today. I reach the portage into Sharp Rock Inlet and find several cached boats. Some appear to be decrpid and no longer in use, like for 10 years.

After the short carry there is a smaller river to paddle to get to the actual inlet. As I round the corner and see the open water I am devastated. The wind is just a howling and there is white caps on the waves. I make an attempt to apddle in this but I am just not able to keep enought forward progress to make it worth while. I blow back to shore where there is an obvious winter camp. Looks like it has been used for everal years and each year when spring comes it is abandon and then the next winter they just build over it. I wonder if those winter campers know what this site looks like in the summer(or spring). There are wood stoves and stove pipe sections, spring mattresses, carpets, beer bottels and so on. The area is also grassy. Tall grass which is dead and dry right now. This is important to know because I won't have a fire in fear of the grass catching fire. The bright side...there is a lawn chair!

I sit around waiting for the wind to die down and it actualy gets stronger. I resolve to set up my tent if for nothing else to just get myslef out of the wind. I spend the day in and out of the tent, napping, reading that damnned text book and wandering around close to camp. There was wolf scat there and I wa fearful if I left my stuff alone too long a wolf may come and drag away my pack. I have heard of this happening before.

The wind got stronger as they day went on and I was going bonkers. I was supposed to be out by tomorrow and if winds don't die wife is going to calling in the OPP to go looking for me. Couldn't go fishing becasue I couldn't get a cast out in that wind, couldn't hike, couldn't have a fire. What a horrible day. I begin to worry about all kinds of stuff. Supper is dreary and early. I wander around the site and gather the smaller garbage into one spot. I eventulayy officially retire for the night around 7pm.

Day - Al, Jeff, Hans and the Bear

I couldn't sleep all that well becasue a) I had been napping all day and b) the wind would start form nothing and you could hear it build until it came rushing down the bay and rattle the hell out of the tent. This happened every 30 seconds it seemed at varing intesitities all night.

As I lay there half a asleep in the middle of the night all of a sudden I get a bop on the head. It was if something pushed it's way into the tent and when it reached my head it backed away. I quickly grab my knife. Scared like crazy and listening intently. There is lots of noise outside but the wind is blowing quite a bit. I tell myself it was most likely a branch that fell from the tree and nervously go back to sleep.

I wake at 430 and it seems at first as if the wind has died. I can still hear it blowing but not even close to the instensity as it was before. I first think of going back to sleep but quickly change my mind and decide to make hay while the sun shines. It is still dark out as it is overcast as well. I check around the tent and see no brach or anything that may have hit the tent. Yikes!

I make no breakfast. I just quickly pack up and head out. i take 2 pemmican bars and a granola bar and decide to head straight for the truck. Non-stop as long as the wind is quite enough to paddle. I make good time up Sharp Rock Inlet and cross the Northwest Arm to the Napolean portage. I don't know why it is called that but I found it nonetheless. I soon realize that the new found exuberance from the previous day was still there and get a charge out doing the portage. The last 20m of the portage are straight down. Amazing view of Sandy Inlet from the top. It is about 830am

As I shove off the wind is calm and the water flat. But as I round the corner the skies are getting dark and the winds are picking up. The waves are getting big but I am perpindicular to them. First time I have tried to paddle any distance like this and it was more dificult than any other angle. It is about a 3km crossing and the water is getting rougher and rougher.

I spot somebody on shore just down the beach from Wanapatei. I head over there and talk to Hans and his female companion. Words are coming out all weird and I find simple conversation difficult to have. Of course Hans is the first person I have spoken to or even seen in 6 days. Turns out he had the same trouble finding the Sandy Inlet put in as I did. We talk about that and then I move on. Just the portage and about 6km of paddling to go!

As I head up the beach I hear activity at Wanapitei so I beach the canoe. I havve decided my trip is over and I am going to ask somebody at the camp to give me a lift up to the Red Squirrel parking lot to retrieve my truck and I would take out Sandy Inlet. The prospect of 3km into a head wind didn't make me real enthusiastic.

I talk to Al the Site Director and he say no probblem he just has to wait for the ATV to come back. I start back towards the ever devious Sandy Inlet take out and begin bringing my stuff to the parking lot. I talk to Al and Jeff the site superintendant for a short time and off we go. The 2 beers I had in the cooler with a block of ice were still cold. I drank 1 and gave the other to Jeff. Seems they both had the goverment flu and a little hair of the dog was much welcomed. Learned a bit about Camp Wanapitei from them and really can't thank them enough.

Packed up and headed for home. Not without stopping in Temagami and spending some $$$$. Had a big greasy banquet burger with fries and gravy at the China Garden and bought some souveniers for the kids at the gift shop next door.

This was my longest trip I have undertaken and I learned so much. I called my wife from just outside of Temagami(i can't believe my cell worked up there) and for some reason cried. I am not sure why. It just felt like a whole lot of emotion I had with me came to the surface all at once. Could have been the isolation or the fact that I thought too often about that one subtle mistake that could have cost me my life, my wife a husband and the kids a father. A simple broken ankle aand I surley would have been in a critical situation and most likely died.

Hope you enjoyed the report and the pictures are soon to follow.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 61

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the report, Rob. That's what is officially known as "an adventure."

The fire you saw on Obabika Inlet is 30 years old this summer. See the article here:

I'm sure you now know how to get to Sandy Inlet in the future. Certainly tough to find if you don't have directions. Easy to find (if a little bumpy) if you do.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Rob

Thanks for the report, Rob. I'd like to offer
a few words... and I hope you know you have our
admiration. Because YOU took on this trip, you've
given any reader an insight into, perhaps, something they've never done, or might do, or perhaps something they may do in the future, and
can benefit from reading. Hats off to you.

If it is helpful to you, or anyone, I offer my
few words.

1. Wind. If you get in a "repetitive" wind
system... work with it. Make your miles
early, or late. Fish or eat or read when
the wind advises you that you should.

2. Wolves. Hang your pack. You never know
what critical survival item could be dragged
off... but, Murphy's Law normally applies.

3. Every trip... especially solo... pack an
air-cannister-marine-horn. Weighs less than
a bears paw... and works very effectively.
(Some carry bearspray... but I've had a lot
of trouble locating a Fifty Foot Nozzle!).
Works well on wolves too, and a three blast
SOS call will attract any boat in sight.

Again, I hope my 2 cents is helpful.

The real thing i want to say to you, is that none
of us normally chooses to die, or gets to choose
the manner of our death... or misfortune. You are
to be commended for being "out there"... if I'm
going to go, I cant think of a better place for
me to go in... you know. People also fall down
the stairs and die while their wife is in Jamaica
for a week. Your choice of the environment you
chose to encounter your risks, speaks much of you. Don't ever forget that... and don't ever
stop asking : "is there anything I would do
differently". (And, don't let us do that either)

Thanks again

Sundown
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 679

Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rob

Insightful story made powerful by your honesty.

I, too, am a soloist, a more recent convert (driven by the challenge of syncing up with companions), and can't believe what I have been missing all these years.

Solo on.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian

Please contact me at tessierlc@yahoo.ca.
Need to pick your brain, and I cant find you
under the user list.

Thanks
Sundown
 Link to this message

doc

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rob

That was a well told tale.

You are right. The onigum between Shish Kong and Bob Lake are fantastic. Did you notice the blazes, some have to be over a century old? Also the misshapen cedars from decades or more of travelers’ trampling feet, you can feel in your bones that you are following ancient foot steps.

Check out the photo in Craig MacDonald’s article: http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/History/nastawg an.htm

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 682

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sundown, I am the webmaster so you can use any of the Contact links at the bottom of the Ottertooth pages to reach me.
 Link to this message

rob_in_angus

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

View from Smoothwater Eco Lodge
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/View%20from%20Smoothwater%20Lodge.jpg[/img]

The wide part of the road into Sandy Inlet
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1469-copy.jpg[/img]

Red Suirrel Lake
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1472-copy.jpg[/img]

Little snake sunning himself on the rocks at the portage. Seen a few of these throughout the trip.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1474-copy.jpg[/img]

Lake Temagami
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1514.JPG[/img]

Old Cedar Canvas canoe washed up on shore. Looks like it has been there for some time, surprised nobody has tried to take it yet.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1517.JPG[/img]

Knee deep water hole along portage into Obabika Inlet.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1524.JPG[/img]

Obabika Inlet. Note the birch trees. Plenty of evidence of the fire around. Campsites looked unused and in rough shape.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1529.JPG[/img]

This old car was located just before the portage into Obabika. There was a trail and there was another car buried in the bush. Looked as if it had been there many many years.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1532.JPG[/img]

The very Algonquin-like portage into Obabika. Saw plenty of these guys on the portages.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1538.JPG[/img]

Looking North up Obabika Lake
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1543.JPG[/img]

The Sweat Lodge at the north end of Obabika
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1546.JPG[/img]

Cooking Bannock on a stick.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1552.JPG[/img]

The biggest darn Moose footprint I have ever seen. I am wearing size 13 and it is almost the entire length of my foot.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/Moose%20footprint.jpg[/img]

The north end of Shish Kong. There is a portage there, can you see it?
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1556.JPG[/img]

This is the boardwalk at the end of the portage into Mud Lake.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1557.JPG[/img]

Look at this tree! Grows up and then back into the ground.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1569.JPG[/img]

Just a reminder that winter was not that long ago. The puddles were iced over and there was still lots of ice in hidden crevices.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1574.JPG[/img]

Mud Lake. This is when I was really starting to feel good. Pretty lake!
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1575.JPG[/img]

This is the take out at the other end of Mud Lake. Like walking on a sponge. Weirdest feeling I ever had. Got to admit I felt really unsafe walking on it too.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1577.JPG[/img]

Bob Lake. One of the pretiest lakes I have ever been on. I noticed alot more Black Spruce which I think are more typical of the north. Really made me feel like I was up there.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1581.JPG[/img]

A couple of water fowl. Appear to be different breeds but I am sure they were nesting together. These modern ducks, what can you say.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1584.JPG[/img]

Portage into Diamond. The path is narrow and well worn. Like it has been used for thousands of years. Onigum.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1586.JPG[/img]

Wolf scat. Was kinda blown away by the amount of it I saw on the portage into Diamond.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/IMG_1588.JP G[/img]

This is the moment I discoverd Spring had arrived in Temagami. The dull grey Birch trees all of a sudden had this pale green tinge to the tops.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/IMG_1596.JP G[/img]

This is the firepit I made while staying on Diamond. Note the stacks of tinder and various sizez of kindling. I even had 3 inch diamater birch cut and split. All of this remains for the next weary camper. I use very little firewood. Just enough to boil my tea billy in the mornings.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/IMG_1597.JP G[/img]

View from my makeshift campsite on Sharp Rock Inlet.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1599.JPG[/img]

This is looking out into Sandy Inlet from the top of the Napolean Portage.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1607.JPG[/img]

A sign with the native name of Sandy Inlet.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/robcollette/Temagami_Sp ring_2007/IMG_1609.JPG[/img]

This is just a small selection of the 163 shots I took.
 Link to this message

tess

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rob, I loved your report, reminded me of a solo I took many years ago that involved some of the same lakes. But even more than that I want to agree with Brian...your self awareness, willingness to share, and above all, the honesty and emotion so obvious in your words, made your report especially special! Congrats and thanks!!!

(Message edited by tess on May 13, 2007)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 683

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rob, I believe Bill Buchan (the trail steward) built that boardwalk from Shiskong into Mud.

The Obabika Inlet portage used to be a truck portage, hence the Algonquin-like feel and the old truck you saw.
 Link to this message

ghost_brigade

Post Number: 56

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Rob, thanks for sharing your trip report with us. I echo the sentiment of the others in the pleasure of reading honesty. For me the fear of injury on a solo trip takes place in the weeks prior to departure and it usually wakes me from my sleep, second guessing my decesion to do the trip. My anxiety fades away as the trip is under way. However, I do miss terribly my family and swear I won't leave them alone again. Perhaps that is why it has been a few years since I have ventured solo.
Neil
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 62

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rob, the campsite you bushed on Sharp Rock was used in 1989 as the main camp for one of the TAA-run blockades of the Red Squirrel Road. Not sure what it's been used for since. A trail at the back of the site leads back to the road, not too far.
 Link to this message

rob_in_angus

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I ventured up to the road a couple of times. Definately was a winter camp for at least a few seasons. AS you can see there is a boat cache there as well.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 432

Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A good report Rob.
I hope you don't let the adversity of your first trip keep you from doing other solo trips in the future.

I was out there at the same time you were and just so you know..... I was in my tent by 7 PM most nights and asleep by 8 PM.

I think it is called shear exhaustion.

My dog was with me and she was in the tent before I was.

Oh! And the first week is always the most difficult..... it gets better after that.

And suddenly Spring is there as if by magic and .....then the bugs come out and it is time to leave Temagami for a few weeks.

I enjoyed reading your trip report. As some have commented ...a very honest, insightful rendering of a Spring solo trip.

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Rob...

Waiting anxiously for more pix...

I dont know that turf... so if you get a chance
send us some more.

Where are you going next??

Sundown

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home