Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Sturgeon river < Previous Next >

Link to this message

gregas

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 6, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I wanted to do a canoe trip up to kettle falls on the sturgeon. How is the fishing\scenery\camp sites\traffic? I was thinking early Sept.

regards,
Greg
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 649

Posted on Wednesday, February 7, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

September is a great time as you will likely see few, if any, other travellers. Kettle Falls down to Upper Goose Falls has a big variety of scenery. The river goes from close jack pine-covered hills at Kettle down to wide river channels near Upper Goose. I have seen lots of wildlife along the entire section.
 Link to this message

gregas

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hows the fishing and how much of an experience paddler you have to be? I wanted to go with my girlfriend. We have done canoe camping once in Algonquin for a weekend. However I am much more experienced.
 Link to this message

burtjames

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, March 9, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Gregas,

I actually have had very good luck pike fishing on the Sturgeon, although I haven't done that much close to Kettle Falls. I'm not sure what else there is in the river (aside from, well, sturgeon, but good luck catching one of those) as pike always seem to be the first thing to hit on my lures.

Pike will hang out just about anywhere, but most of my luck has come in and around reed beds close to moving water, rapids or falls.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home