Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Upper Temagami River Rapids < Previous Next >

Link to this message

scoutercraig

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 9, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I ran the Temagami from Cross Lake dam to Red Cedar lake in 2003. I had a copy of Haps books and the maps but after running the river I had a hard time relating my personal experineces with the advice in the book. In particular Hap points out a class 3 as DO NOT RUN and yet we had no problem running this section of river in fact we only portaged the first set of rapids below the now non existant bridge. I am planning another trip in August and I'd like some feed back on the wisdom of running any or all of the rapids on this section of the river.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 651

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

This is a dam-controlled river, so water conditions will vary considerably. That probably explains the inconsistency of your experience with Hap's report. You have to be careful, though, when running as many of the rapids were blasted in the past by loggers, leaving many sharp rocks. The wisdom lies in knowing the water level and your ability.
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian,

Is correct. I have run this section many times and it's gnarly with many dangerous rocks. In late summer, the water level are almost always very low and therefore many of the rapids are hard to run. In the spring it's rarely an issue
 Link to this message

scoutercraig

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for th valuable info. Does OPG ever open up the Cross Lake Dam or it it more or less a matter of how high the water is in Cross Lake? If the conditions are similar this year our group should have no problem as all are intermediate paddlers and three of the group were on the last trip.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 654

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The primary determinant of water flow is to maintain set water levels on Lake Temagami.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home