Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Looking ahead... < Previous Next >

Link to this message

scott

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi everyone,

I am also thinking of heading to the Temagami area, in either the 2nd or 3rd week of September this year. I have currently narrowed my choices down to 2 routes that are doable for myself and my partners, however I could also use some opinions on the matter.

I consider myself to be a solid intermediate paddler, and will be accompanied by 2 novice, yet VERY enthusiastic(not foolhardy) Europeans. I can safely say we're all in good physical conditon as well, and in our late 30's.

option 1 - Matagamasi/Sturgeon R Loop. My partners & I are leaning toward this as it seems to have a good mix of fairly remote lake and river travel.

option 2 - Mississagi R. - Aubrey - Huron. Obviously mostly river travel, and therefore more technical, but also seems appealing.

My questions regarding the Matagamasi/Sturgeon are;

i) if we extend the trip downstream from the Kelly farm portage , to the Chiniguchi R & upstream to Murray Lake, back into Maskinonge, does anyone have a rough idea how much extra time we should account for by doing this? Is it a tough go?

ii) Would anyone recommend a good outfitter along the way where I could rent a single kevlar or royalite canoe? I'll be lending mine to my partners.

Many thanks!

Scott

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 650

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Let me caution you that below Kelly's there is little more to see, except sandy meanders (and you will have had your fill by then), and lots of boats and cottages on Murray and Washagami lakes. However, that section is very easy. The portages are few and short, though you will have to walk the canoes up the lower Chingichi River where it leaves the Sturgeon. Still, there is little to recommend it.
 Link to this message

scott

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Brian,

It looks like I'll stick with the kelly farm portage. This would also give us at least another full day just to relax and do some fishing on Matagamasi. I've also discussed things with my partners and we all like the idea of a loop trip, instead of having to use a shuttle. So it's looking like the Sturgeon at this point.

Any thoughts on a reasonable outiftter close by?

Thanks again,

Scott
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 652

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There are no outfitters in the immediate area, though Sportsman's Lodge on Kukagami Lake has been talking about it. Lakeland Lodge may also have started outfitting.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini3.ht m

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home