Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Belated trip report... < Previous Next >

Link to this message

scott

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi again,

Just this past August another friend and I had planned to tackle the Red Cedar/Jumping caribou route, however a nagging back injury, and less than accomadating former employer kept my friend from making it up with me for the full week. Portaging was also out of the question, so what was I to do?

After consulting some topo maps I quickly hashed out a plan to base camp on Glasford L. for a day or so, and then and put in my first ever solo trip through Maxam, Burwash, Ross, then into Rabbit L. spend the night at the campsite just sth & lft of the dam, then down the Matabitchuan R. to 4Bass, then into Cooper, and down into Mcdonald Creek & back to Glasford.

Let me say that even though my friend & trusted caneing partner was absent for most of the week, I/we both had an incredible time. The highlight was meeting a "young lady" at the north end of Glasford on a sunny friday afternoon. I have attached a link to some photos to explain this further!

I would also like to mention that this site is a fantastic source of information. And my sincere thanks for those that both use and maintain it.

Scott

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sbtelfer/slidesho w?.dir=/5fb5re2&.src=ph

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 398

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nice pictures Scott:
I have canoed around Temagami for years but I have never been on the east side of the highway.
And after viewing your pictures I am not sure why I have never visited there. The place looks beautiful.So this next Fall I am planning to go there with a friend.
Thanks for sharing.
Ed.
 Link to this message

gone_paddling

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great picture show.Some of the girls in Temagami are real show artists. I have seen them on the water a few times some with family. Have another great trip into the wilderness.That is why we should lobby to preseve this natural canoe haven.Temagami!! Brian
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 31

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm telling you, Ed, east of 11 is where it's at!
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 108

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Cooper is a beautiful lake. Check out the old logging camp now a fishing lodge on the island in the south east corner of the lake,very rustic.
 Link to this message

dave

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

i just can't believe in the 25 years i've been on Rabbit i've never wandered around the whole area..i've gotta get a move on things
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 109

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dave
Take a day trip into Blue Berry Lake, another beauty and hike the trail that is across the lake from the end of the portage. A great way to spend a day.
 Link to this message

shutter_speed

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great slide show Scott. My closest to one of the "girls" was 10 feet before backpaddling furiously.
 Link to this message

redcanoe

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 2, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

was looking through routes trying to plan something for july when I came upon your post. As they were showing I thought hey you look familier!!! and I was surprised to see a face from the past! looks like a beautiful trip with some good fishing...

dana
 Link to this message

scott

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 5, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Dana,

I was just showing one of the guys I'll be canoeing with in Sept. the Ottertooth site, and I saw your post.

Please forgive me in advance, but I'll need a little help here... Could you give me a hint as to how far in the past I should go?

Please let me know.(although I think I know which Dana you are...)

Scott
 Link to this message

dave

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, March 5, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

scott, that loop took a week to do?
 Link to this message

redcanoe

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 5, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hi scott, it's the 20 yrs in the past dana...shooting pool at doug's dana. didn't know your long term memory was affected i though it only afected the short...ha ha

dana
 Link to this message

scott

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, March 5, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Dave & Dana,

I don't have my maps handy, however if I remember correctly the loop itself is only about 38-40km max. It was just an overnight trip, and I didn't feel like I was really pushing, as this was my 1st solo trip. I base-camped on Glasford for the rest of the week, and fished, hiked around, etc. One thing I didn't do, but should have done in retrospect, was do an overnight hike to the Grand Campment Trail as well.

Hey Dana!

I hope both my short & long term memory are relatively intact! How are you??? It's been a while for sure. This seems to be a year for catching up with old friends as Scroggins called me up out of the blue last autumn after drifting apart for about 10 yrs.

email me at sbtelfer@yahoo.ca

Scott

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home