Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Seagram, Yorkston < Previous Next >

Link to this message

shutter_speed

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, March 2, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I haven't been over there in many years, and was wondering if the area is still as special as I remember, or if logging roads have opened it up. Has anyone been there in the past few years?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 661

Posted on Saturday, March 3, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It is still a great area, but it was wide open for a number of years after the logging roads came in. As the roads deteriorated it has become limited to ATVs and snowmobiles. Certainly the old forest is gone, and there is the occasional motorboat brought in on an ATV trailer.

Yorston River north of Seagram is still pristine as the roads haven't reached there yet, but they are building a main road soon, across the Yorston River near Mudchannel, so they can log in that area, which is virgin forest. Still a favourite area of mine.
 Link to this message

shutter_speed

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, March 3, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, when I was there some 40 years ago I thought it was truly magical, despite the fact I've been spelling it wrong all this time. I've been trying to decide whether to go see it again, or to leave it as one of those special places in my memory. Your comments are very helpful, thanks.
 Link to this message

ramah_tripper

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My apologies if this is a bit of a hi-jack. I maybe passing through this area in may/june (doing close to Hap #2) and I was wondering if anyone has used the access point at Southern tip of Yorston. We may have some unfortunate souls (that can't extricate themselves from 'real life' for quite as long) who might join as for the last couple of days.

In a related question from reading Hap's description of the Yorston and Obabika have pretty decent flow during the time I am looking at so I would probably go up the Lady Ev, any comments/idea?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 667

Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

To reach Yorston Lake you will need a monster 4X4 or ATVs. Of course, you can just disrespect your car.
 Link to this message

ramah_tripper

Post Number: 9

Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I knew it was a long shot, but I was holding out hope. Thanks.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home