Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Canton Lakes < Previous Next >

Link to this message

shutter_speed

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, March 7, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anyone travelled from Thunderhead through Bob via the Wendaban-Red Dragonfly-Chicot-Stiles route?
I was wondering if the portages were passable or even findable!
I went to Red Dragonfly and back one day a few years ago. The last portage would have been almost impossible to find except that someone had marked it with fishing line. It looked like someone was planning to clear it. I haven't been that way since.
Has anyone?
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 44

Posted on Wednesday, March 7, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That route was cleared by the Nastawgan Network last September. I also travelled it in 2001, after it was cleared by the Friends of Temagami. The fishing line you saw is what timber cruisers use for hip chains now. Kind of a really tough string.
 Link to this message

shutter_speed

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, March 8, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ouch. I was hoping it had nothing to do with logging. But Red Dragonfly appears to be right beside Block 42, so I guess if it hasn't been fubared it soon will be. Too bad. It's a very pretty little lake.
I'm glad to hear the portages were cleared. Those groups do a great job.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 45

Posted on Thursday, March 8, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry to give you the impression that the string was laid by timber cruisers. That string was used by the FoT crew to mark the length of the portages. You are all too right about the proximity of Block 42. Thankfully roads or harvesting won't cross the route, it'll just be darn close.

I do hope you're a member of these groups. It's really only through the support of people like you that we're able to do what we do.

(Message edited by curly on March 8, 2007)
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 122

Posted on Thursday, March 8, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This route was identified as endangered Nastawgan in 2006 by the Nastawgan Network due to the proximity to the cut block. Network members re-opened the portages last summer in the hopes that others would paddle through thus enforcing the value of the portages when forestry activities are planned.

There is a good route description prepared by the crew who last opened the route. Contact onecanoe@nastawgan.ca for details.
 Link to this message

shutter_speed

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, March 8, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've emailed onecanoe for the route description, and offered to help out. Don't know how to contact Friends of Temagami.
Thanks for the info.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home