Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Cassels to Lorraine Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

watersong

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If a group of 4, two canoes, wanted to get to Lorraine Lake from Temagami townsite via Cassles

a) Is it a 1 day trip? (in reasonable weather)

b) are there any good camping sites on Lorraine? THere are none shown on my maps....

Thanks in advance!!

Dave
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 666

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

One person who can answer your questions is Bob, and he is on vacation.
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 96

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

watersong
We did that route 3 years ago, and easily made it to Lorraine Lake on our first day. As I mentionned on another post, I was told there were about 8 campsites on Lorraine. We saw maybe 2 or 3 that were noticeable from the middle of the lake. We stayed at the north facing campsite at the narrows near the centre of the lake. Certainly not a level campsite, but we did find enough room for 2 tents and a kitchen tarp.
 Link to this message

watersong

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

TSM,

How long is the portage into Lorraine, and what kind of shape was it in ?????

Thanks for the info !
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 97

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

watersong
I'll have to try and dig out my old map and notes, but I seem to recall it was about a kilometre or so long. It was a tougher portage than we had expected, but certainly easy compared to some Temagami portages we've been on. The portage crosses a recently built or upgraded logging road at some point. The trail ends up at a large campsite on Lorraine. A group of anglers were set up here on our trip, having driven in on a logging road that ends at the north end of Lorraine. If you're looking for a quiet route away from motor boats....this is not it. If you're looking, however for a loop that is do-able in a long weekend, this may be what you're looking for. This was our first trip "east of 11", and will probably be our last. We much prefer the area west of the highway, but that's just our opinion.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home