Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 19, 2007 * Winds < Previous Next >

Link to this message

stormy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all,
I am planning a trip of 10 or 12 days in Temagami around Labor Day. Basically my route will be from Ferguson Bay west to Diamond,northward to Hobart,Tupper and Maple Mountain. Back to Diamond and complete the Obabika loop. My question is what are the winds like in the above area in September? Thanks,

Stormy
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 417

Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The prevailing are from the SW during the Summer, but September is a variable month.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 114

Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It's a crap shoot stormy..I've never seen a place with winds out of the east as often as Temagami. Guess we're in the back swirl of every front passing thru to the south of us. That said...you know when you are paddling that it's always on the nose....
 Link to this message

stormy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

ED, does this mean that September is unpredictable or that the prevailing direction changes gradually over the month?
Thanks, Stormy
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 72

Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It all depends,
we have done numerous trips in September and never had an issue with winds except one day on Obabika, "life is like a box of chocolates,you never know what you're gonna get"

Good luck with your trip. It is a wonderful area of the province and I'm sure you'll have s great time!!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 418

Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Stormy:
There is no answer to your question. Irishfield has the best answer... it's a crap shoot...
As a canoeist, dont worry about the winds, just go out and do your thing. Enjoy yourself and what the wind god provides.Sometimes you will like what he provides and other times you will be swearing at him. It's all a part of canoeing.
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 8:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have done the Obabika loop in both directions during September...neither one seemed to be better from a wind standpoint . I did get stranded on an island in the south end of LE Lake for three days when winds whipped up 4 foot waves with whitecaps. Build some extra days into your itinerary and you will be all set.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home