Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 23, 2007 * Shuttle advice for Montreal to Gamble < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bob_a

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi. I'm planning a trip in May, up the Montreal, from Beauty L. road, through Smoothwater, down the South L. Evelyn, up the N. L. E., to Gamble L. What I wonder is, if a bike was left at Gamble or the furthest gate on the road, approx. how far a bike ride would it be, and generally, what would the conditions be like.
Thank you, Bob
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 676

Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

No sure how far that is, but most the Liskeard Lumber Road is hardpack, whereas the Beauty Lake, at least two summers ago, was looser gravel, from the intersection of Beauty and Liskeard roads to the Montreal, so a slower ride, on a mountain bike. If you are a strong rider the conditions are fine. For a bike, this is a straightforward ride.
 Link to this message

john_v

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I can give you some approximate distances that may help. From the highway to the 2nd bridge (at the S. LE River) is approximately 47kms. Now backtracking north, from the 2nd bridge to the gate at the N. LE River is approx. 6-7kms. From the gate on to Gamble Lake is another 6-7kms. So that means from Gamble back to the highway is approx. 34kms. I'm not sure how far the Beauty Lake Rd fork is from the highway, but to bike from Gamble to the put in on the Montreal sounds like a long ride to me. Probably well over 40kms. As was mentioned, the road is mountain bike friendly. I have thought of doing this very thing myself but have not tried it yet. If you do please let us know how it goes.
 Link to this message

bob_a

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the information. I will let you know how I make out.
Bob
 Link to this message

bob_a

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

HI. We went last weekend. Thurs. to Sun. Unfortunetly, we got up there late, and even though we took many roads we could not find the proper road to the L.E. Perhaps in daylight we would have been O.K. We drove back to the Montrea l put in and got down to Whitemud Lake. Because we had no return options on the N.L.E. we just explored. I would suggest that it would be a very tough slug down the S.L.E. to the Florence R. Maybe this was a low water year but in a few sections you would have to unload your canoe and walk down the river (ditch). However all in all a great trip. Are there any bad ones?
Bob
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 684

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Whitemud to Lady E is a tough slog in any water condition, but still something rare: wild and pristine.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There may be other trippers who find themselves roaming aimlessly over the bush roads looking for the Lady E, so here's the directions from Hwy 560.

At KM 12, take the left fork onto Beauty Lake Road.
At KM 18, take the right fork.
At KM 33, take the road to the right if you want to access Gamble Lake.
At around KM 39, you'll reach the North Lady Evelyn bridge.
At approx. KM 45, You reach the South Lady Evelyn bridge.

Hope this helps someone.

DoubleBend
 Link to this message

bob_a

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian, yes I enjoyed it. db, thanks for the directions, I plan to do this again, now I can do the loop. Thanks Bob.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home