Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 3, 2012 * Misabi Range - Impressions/Experience? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 143

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 8:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello,

I'm interested in hearing people's general impressions of the chain of lakes on the Misabi Range, specifically from Wakimika and through to Hortense, Dorthy, Chapin, Beaver, Lewbert. I'm currently considering taking this route or continuing north into Tupper, Bergeron, Montreal, and so on.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

both great trips although i've not done that last bit up to lewbert. the misabi is definitely a much tougher route with a more remote feel.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1165

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Pinetorch route from Wakimika is tough, with lot's of portaging, and some really big trees to look at as you head into Hortense. Dorothy usually has the odd wolf around it if you are lucky to see them.
Up Nasmith to Chapin is difficult.

From Beaver to Ames Creek use the Upper Yorston Map here on ottertooth.It is the most accurate.

Lewbert is remote but not too difficult going east to west. The last port into Lewbert from Beaver skirts around a pond before you get to Lewbert.Travel the north shore and then enter the bush on your right for the last little bit before launching beside a large rock.The port out of Lewbert is downhill to Ames and is hard to negotiate in the other direction.It ends right where the port on the west side of Ames Creek crosses over the creek.
If you get up to Skooztagan and can't launch because the water level is too low, walk back south on the port and cross over Ames on an old Beaver Dam,. There is a trail on the east side ( not on any maps) that you should be able to walk north on, along the shore of Skooztagan to where you can reach deeper water.

If you go please let us know how the route is particularly, the shape of the portages and Nasmith Creek.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1417

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Some sections of the Pinetorch route are spectacular. You might think you are in the Adirondacks or Vermont. And the remoteness is beyond compare.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 145

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed, Brian,

As usual, your feedback is a big help to me and has played the largest role in all my previous Temagami trips. Currently, I'm considering two routes starting June 27 for up to 17 days.

1. Smoothwater/Sturgeon/Obibika/Hortense/Lewbert/Flor ence/South Evelyn/Whitemud/Smoothwater.

2. Smoothwater/Sturgeon/Obibika/Tupper/Bergeron/Mende lsohn/Montreal/Mowat's Landing

I see the second trip being easier, but a shuttle will be required. The biggest pain point in this route, however, is that I wouldn't see Florence; hence, the first route.

Just can't decide...

Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 361

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Misabi Range is a great place to stretch one’s legs and get your boots wet, lots of small lakes in quick succession. It is certainly off the beaten track. Also, didn't you forgo seeing Florence last year due to similar issues?
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 147

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 5:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

alscool -

Nope, we stayed on Florence for two days last summer.

For you, how do the routes compare?

Paul

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 149

Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well, since no one is going to decide for me, I'm picking the Sturgeon to Maple Mountain route : )
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 362

Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ok, since your decided, I'll put a pitch in for option 1. Admittedly as a tougher go, it is worthy of a badge.

Maple Mountain is a good destination.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 4:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

personally, I would opt for the first option, as well.
It is much more austere, less exposed and, like many have said here, there is something about the Misabi range that is different from all the rest of the area.
And you will see no one, I'll wager.
You seem to have more than enough time to do it all.
My friend and I went from Ferguson Bay, through Hortense, etc. up to Florence, out the north end and back down through the North Channel, Lady Eelyn, Diamond and back out. All that in a admittedly rushed eight days.
You have lots of time. There is nothing really that difficult so much as steadily tiring.
The big portage up off the Naismith is a killer, admittedly. But what a badge of honour, as stated above.
Good luck with the South Lady Evelyn up to Smoothwater. I took at peak at it in the fall a few years back and thought better of it.
I am heading out on June 9th until June 22nd with nine Grade 12 students. I am pushing to do the route I described with a trip up Maple Mountain thrown in.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 150

Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Folks,

I'm reconsidering the Sturgeon part of the trip due to the water levels on that river (4.53 today). Here's the revised route:

1. Sharp Rock
2. Diamond
3. Hortense
4. Dorthy
5. Chapin
6. Lewbert
7. Florence
8. Florence
9. South Evelyn River
10. Macpherson Lake area (on Evelyn River)
11. Shangri-La (on Evelyn River
12. Bridal Falls (on Evelyn River)
13. Willow Island Lake
14. Sharp Rock
15. Out
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 151

Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I copy and pasted the incorrect route.. sigh...

Chance Loop (Very Remote)

1. Evelyn River North
2. MacPherson Lake (on Evelyn)
3. Shangri-La (on Evelyn)
4. Bridal Falls (on Evelyn)
5. Willow Lake
6. Diamond
7. Hortense
8. Dorthy
9. Chapin
10. Lewbert
11. Florence
12. Florence (climb mountain/camp?)
13. South Evelyn
14. Out
15. Buffer
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1182

Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You are starting at Gamble or thereabouts? And ending there?

You are staying on Hortense and then staying on Dorothy the next night? Hortense to Dorothy is less than 1 hour.I would think you could make Chapin that day.
I presume you come north out of Florence and take SLE to NLE River and then back to your start at Gamble?
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 219
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed's right, or you could camp on the small unnamed lake before hortense which is what we've always done. this is actually in my opinion one of the best campsites on the route, a classic high rock mound.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 220
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2012 - 1:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

point is it would make a shorter day from diamond and a longer day to dorothy.
also the access to florence mountain (no trail, just a bushwhack, but totally worth it) is from the southwest end of florence and would be your first day on florence i'd say. don't expect a maple mountain or ishpatina- type experience, the top of florence mtn is fully-forested like pinetorch ridge, and therefore equally hard to find...
the climb is great, up a series of stepped cliffs that can be climbed easily. great blueberries as i recall- and bears.
good luck with this trip, you won't be disappointed!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1183

Posted on Monday, June 25, 2012 - 7:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the tip grncnu:
I have never stayed on that unnamed lake before Hortense, but plan to do so this September.I am going to Nasmith and was thinking it would be a good place to stop, making the trek to Dorothy by the portage on the creek an easy one.

Yellowcanoe: please let us know what conditions you encounter going upstream on Nasmith to the start of the portage coming down from Chapin.

Maybe you could let us know what the route from Nasmith , up the long portage to Chapin and through to Florence is like. MNR no longer has a Crown land maintenance program and it has been a while since Pinetorch has seen any clean-up.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 366

Posted on Monday, June 25, 2012 - 8:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is a well defined trail to Florence Mountain found in the shallow bay behind the peninsula campsite. The lookout is on top of rocky ridge just shy of the summit.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 152

Posted on Monday, June 25, 2012 - 6:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As usual, your feedback and expertise is invaluable.

We are starting and ending around Chance (as I did last year)and, yes, we are coming north out of Florence and taking SLE to NLE River and then returning to Chance.

ed, et all, I'll let you know what conditions I encounter going upstream on Nasmith up through to Chapin. Will try to get some pictures.

Thanks for the unnamed lake, Dorthy, Hortense, and Florence Mountain info. Can't wait to see Florence again.

We leave this Saturday!

Paul

(Message edited by yellowcanoe on June 25, 2012)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1184

Posted on Monday, June 25, 2012 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As you travel downstream on the south LER ex Florence, see if there is still a crossover route between the south and the north branch via Dees Lake.You might save some time going through here if it is still open.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 221
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

alscool- thats interesting, i'll have to look for it next time even though the cliffs were quite a bit of fun.
ed/yellowcanoe, about that campsite on the unnamed lake, there is a short trail (say 75 yds)that leads to it from the end of the long preceding portage. it should be on the right just before the water's edge. this is worth taking as you avoid a difficult take-out at the campsite and having to carry the canoe up a pretty steep rock! do scout it first though as it will probably need some clearing.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1441

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Dees Lake portages are there. However, anyone traveling from the south to north will have a hard time finding the landing on Dees on the northern trail. Furthermore, this landing is on a floating bog and may be a challenge to walk.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1185

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 6:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the tip grncnu.I have passed by this site on a few ocassions, but have never stayed there.
I have never been able to find Dees, although I have looked a few times.The weather has never been that conducive to doing a thorough search for the start points.The last time I looked for the entrance from the north branch of the LER, it was snowing. At that time I didn't think to get out and look at the forestry road that goes down through there. I think that is where it must now be located.One could access the road from where the old bridge was located and walk south to find the portage entrance.... I think.

Now with mapping GPS devices it should be easier to find the south entrance so that you could do the crossover from south LER to the north LER.

Of course if it is presently located in a bog/swamp that may not be too easy to find.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1442

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 6:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You are correct: from the north, you do walk from the bridge.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 348

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 9:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed, someone has done some trail maintenance since the last time you looked.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home