Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 3, 2012 * Montreal River < Previous Next >

Link to this message

crash

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2012 - 1:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Planning a nice easy trip for my 10 year olds frist trip with dad. Herd the Montreal river from Elk lake to Latchford is an easy trip with just a couple of easy rapids. Anyone know what kind of distance that would be and any decent camp sites on this stretch of the river. Also is there good fishing along the river. She loves to fish. please let me know if anyone has}}}}} any info thanks.

Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2012 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

sounds like an excellent choice for what you are after. there is one dangerous rapids beside the lodge at mountain chutes. the portage is through the lodge grounds. if you're an expert you can leave the kids and gear on the portage and run them, (i've never had the nerve).
not a huge number of campsites though, but they are well spaced out and in my experience the route is not that well used by canoeists. last time i was through there was about 10 years ago and the campsite on indian lake had a lot of garbage left by local fishermen- on the plus side i guess that means the fishing is good!
excellent for spotting beaver, otter, moose, herons etc. if you're quiet. below mowat landing the river narrows and becomes shallow in places, some of which were formerly major rapids (the river was flooded for hydro in the 60's).
opposite latchford on bay lake you can hike the 3,000 yard portage to anima nippissing, a nice hike with several points of interest.
get the 1:50000 maps-- several of the campsites on this route are quite hard to spot and it's easy to lose track of where you are...
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 334

Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2012 - 9:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Last I heard, the Mountain Chutes lodge owners were not happy about canoeists portaging across their land (even though the portage was originally there...). There is a portage on river right, on public land.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1419

Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2012 - 2:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

And Montreal River flooded, not 50 years ago, but a hundred.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 194
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2012 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

sorry brian, i was thinking of the the lower notch dam constructed in 1971, which is what flooded the lower part of the montreal river under 200 feet of water and generates the vast majority of the power... however i concede that it was the dams further upstream (hound & ragged chutes) that flooded the area north of latchford like pork rapids.
re mountain chutes, i am aware of the lodge owner's attitude towards canoeists, i just do not respect it.
the makeshift "portage" on the west side is not the real portage. the real portage is on the east side where it's been for probably thousands of years, much longer than the current owner of the lodge, which has frankly been deserted every time i've seen it...
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1420

Posted on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 9:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I suspect there was also an old tram way between steamer docks on the lodge side. I also suspect the portage right of way still exists.
 Link to this message

crash

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 6:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the info. I was just looking at some maps today and now I'm wondering about a new route. The route I'm thinking about now is from Gowganda to Matachewan or to Elk Lake. It seems a little more remote but is it a good route to do with my 10 year old daughter? If anyone has info on rapids, portages and campsites please let me know. Thanks.

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1168

Posted on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 7:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Look for Route #16 in Wilson's Book, page 106.Canoeing Kayaking and Hiking in Temagami.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

sorry crash haven't done it although i have always been curious about it too.
brian, that's interesting, now that jou mention it i think i recall seeing some ancient concrete ramps or footings on that portage. how far did the steamer go north and south? a couple of years ago i came across some old photos from cochrane's camp on lake temagami, including a photo of portaging either the upper or lower notch, i can't recall which. It was a very spectacular spot!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1421

Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 9:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The steamers ran between Latchford and Elk Lake during the silver rush.
 Link to this message

rambo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 1, 2012 - 8:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Did you do the montreal river from gowganda - elk lake trip. We're thinking of doing the same thing & wondering what it is like.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home