Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 3, 2012 * Kokoko into side rock and malloch < Previous Next >

Link to this message

jpm

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anyone know the portages into side rock lake from kokoko? Is there a portage into malloch? A group of us are heading to kokoko in may. Any tips for this trip? Conditions of the portage into kokoko? Thanks for any info.

JP
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1422

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There were some old portages from Kokoko Lake (near portage to Temagami) to Mallock (original spelling) and Siderock, but not sure if they are still open.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/koko-l.htm
 Link to this message

jpm

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Looks like we're going to go exploring :-) Hope to get into these lakes and try the spec fishing.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1423

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 1:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Let us know what you find.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 336

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 5:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

IIRC, there is a trail to SideRock directly from the Kokoko portage, not off Kokoko Lake as depicted in Brian's map. Was passable 10 years ago.
 Link to this message

jpm

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 6:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you. I'll report what we find.
 Link to this message

shutter_speed

Post Number: 27

Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We took a walk in there 3 years ago, and the trail was fine. It starts off the Temagami-KoKoKo portage near KoKoKo.
There may well be another trail off KoKoKo Lake, but we didn't look for it.
We didn't try the fishing. We haven't been in to Mallock.
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 4:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The trail from Siderock to the Kokoko portage was a but overgrown but easy to find in 2007. The portage from Lake Temagami to Siderock is a well used snowmobile trail, so there must be good fishing.

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1426

Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 5:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A comment, above, on the map is a little misleading. It shows two portages into Sideroad, not one. One from Lake Temagami and a second one from Kokoko Lake.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 337

Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 6:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian, I just looked at your Atlas map of this area. I think it's incorrect. The portage from Kokoko to Siderock starts along the Lake Temagami-Kokoko portage, not from Kokoko itself.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1428

Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have been into Siderock a number of times (neat old log-camp ruins) and it has its own landing on Lake Temagami from the back of that more western bay shown. Actually it was turned into a logging road in the 1960s by Milne. Keewaydin uses it regularly and they do not use the Kokoko portage to get there, but take boats right to the landing. This is the snowmobile trail in the winter. You can see the tree indent for most of it on Google maps.

Now there may another trail from the Temagami-Kokoko portage that I am not aware of.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 359

Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 7:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've been at both ends of the short trail from Kokoko to Siderock, but never travelled the trail. It's there. In winter the sled trail comes out onto Kokoko and then goes straight across that end bay and back into the bush on the Southern shore and up the hill. Assume it goes to Siderock.. maybe it goes to Mallock.. but it definitely comes out where Brian shows it on the map. Green sportspal sitting there on shore.
 Link to this message

jpm

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, June 1, 2012 - 4:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well I'm finally updating this post on our trip into Malloch and Side Rock. We could not find the trail directly from Kokoko to side rock, however about 200m down the trail to Lake Temagami theres a heavily overgrown trail on the left. Itís quite rough with a nice hill to climb with the trail winding through some old camp debris. The Malloch trail was easier to find but would also need some work. Both trails are ok for trekking but not so easy portaging, which we did to side rock.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 347

Posted on Saturday, June 2, 2012 - 1:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Would this be an accurate map of the area? This is how I remember it from about 15 years ago, which seems to agree with how you describe it. However, this is different from how Brian depicts the area here: http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/koko-l.htm

Link to this message

jpm

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, June 4, 2012 - 8:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, that is pretty much it. It was a little fun getting the canoe and fishing gear in but it was worth it. I dont think that trail gets much use anymore.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home