Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through February 24, 2013 * Early may to Chiniguchi < Previous Next >

Link to this message

Post Number: 17

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 3:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Recently returned from a week-long trip to Chiniguchi - from Matagamasi we went North as far as Marjorie, backtracked to McCarthy bay, Donald lake (with a side trip to Potvin) and finished on Kukagami. The weather was beautiful, portages in good shape and camp sites clean. During the trip we saw only one green canoe on Wolf lake. As we learned (unfortunately only after the trip was over) it was a local crew working on portages; if we knew we'd come by to say thousand kudos to these men for keeping the country open for people like us - who are capable of coming here only for few days, using maps drawn by them and walking trails they cleaned.

Few pictures I'd like to share:

former branches that became full grown trees after the main trunk had fallen

And some rock formations from McCarthy bay, about 100m North from the pictograph site.

Indian head

Wolf head

Sheep head

Man with two knives

I have to admit that last 3 images I rotated 90 degrees. As a matter of fact half of each image is a mirror reflection in the water.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 209
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

neat photos.
the reflections series are very reminiscent of totem poles!
 Link to this message

Post Number: 18

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, it was a place where in calm weather "totem poles" were scattered all over the shore. It wasn't obvious at the moment - we were camped across the narrow bay from these rocks - too far for my eyesight and too close for 10x binoculars. Here's another one.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home