Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 23, 2007 * Opinions, info, route help < Previous Next >

Link to this message

redcanoe

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

planning canoe route mid July for 6 days..I have only seen temagami's iceland lake (fishing) and went with alex to the vision quest site etc...so any info on routes would be appreciated..

route 1
access 5 ferguson bay, sharp rock inlet, diamond, lady evelyn, willow, sucker gut, tupper maple mountain hike and back through lady evelyn.

route 2
access 5 ferguson bay, ashton, lynk, sirdevan, walsh, route to maple mountain back via lady evelyn, sharp rock

route 3
red squirrel, carrying, mclean, whitewater, eagle, turner, sirdevan, walsh, diamond, etc

we would like 1 day pack up, two day, two day, one day or something like that we don't want to be packing up everyday....portaging is ok since we have light gear and canoe...is one area perferred...over another...is their motorboat traffic on lady evelyn...are portages fairly clear in this area...any info would be appreciated
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 698

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Muskego area portages are less obvious, and some are challenging, but the area is isolated.

Yes, there is motorboat traffic on Lady Evelyn particularly in the central area where there are lodges. If you travel on the big lakes there are people, boats, less portaging and wind can be an issue. Your choice on what you prefer.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 445

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you are looking for an easier trip then 1 would be the easiest. But I don't think you will be able to just sit around for a day. You will need to keep moving to complete it in 6 days.Unless you are planning to spend some fairly long days in order to get a day off.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 75

Posted on Friday, June 1, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I agree with Ed, none of these options are six day trips unless you go from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
If you can swing two additional days, you could take it easy and relax, plus see more.
You also don't have any windbound leeway here and bigger lakes can ground you for a day or longer.
 Link to this message

redcanoe

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, June 2, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks for that info, if we'd like to stay on one site for at least two days, can anyone suggest a shorter loop with the same access point.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 450

Posted on Sunday, June 3, 2007 - 7:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You need to get rid of Maple Mountain.It is too far for the time available.
try this:
Day 1- Ferguson Bay (Sandy Inlet) put in and go directly through Sharp Rock Inlet to Diamond.
Day 2- Diamond through to Bob and either stay on Bob or go through to Shish Kong or Obabika Lake, if the Shish Kong site is taken, and stay in the north end of Obabika.
Day 3- spend the day on the old growth trails in the north end of Obabika, enjoy the swimming off the rocks at the Pine point campsite or across from it.Go fishing up the Wakimika River to the pool between Obabika and Wakimika.
Day 4- Move south on Obabika and go through Obabika Inlet and into Lake Temagami. Either stay in the inlet or push through to Devil Bay and stay on 1 of the sites in that area for the last 2 days.Or switch it around to spend more time on Diamond or Obabika.

You could also take a different route and go from Sharp Rock into the Canton lakes and get into Bob that way.Small lakes, off the beaten path and lots of portaging.

Link to this message

redcanoe

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, June 3, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have went on trip with alex in which he showed us the old growth and the vision quest site....I assumed that this would be a busy route in the middle of July so was trying to avoid it...if you know better then please excuse my ignorance...that was why we were trying to avoid that are...anymore info would be great.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 456

Posted on Monday, June 4, 2007 - 7:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Maple Mountain route you first proposed will be even busier.
Redcanoe, there is no straight answer to your question. Many people in Canada and those from abroad as well take their holidays in July and August.Your planning to take your holiday in July. There will be lot's of other people out there doing what you are planning to do.
If you want solitude then you need to go farther afield and even then there is no guarantee that you will find it.
 Link to this message

solopaddler

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, June 4, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I like Ed's proposal of June 3rd, I have done that trip a couple times,(usually other way) Took my then 2 yr old-8 yr and wife on their maiden Temagami trip in one canoe while car campin in town, from Sandy Inlet over to Pictographs on Diamond and back , 30 km in one day. First portage up and out of Sandy is a steep first 150 m. Also we where hammered by some of the worst lightning and winds just after we arrived at Diamond, and again later, must say, this whole area has very changable, and severe weather changes come fast... . Enjoy, there is lots to see and do, don't forget if Alex is still around to wafe at his cabin?
 Link to this message

bandana

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 8:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

hey red canoe
this is your pal up in kinmount
just wanted to let you i was here
i don't mind having long-ish days in the canoe if it means we get to see more of the lakes
will be in touch :-)
 Link to this message

rob_in_angus

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

that route Ed suggested is almost identical to the one I did solo in May. Diamond, Bob, Mud Shish Kong Lakes are amongst the pretiest I have encoutered. The portages are difficult but beautiful.

The campsites I saw in Obabika Inlet were not so good.

As mentioned earlier the portage from Sandy Inlet into the NW arm is very very steep. it was bad enought I had to walk back up that hill unburdened to get the second load let alone loaded down with a canoe and or gear.

I noticed lots of evidence on wolves on Diamond and Bob Lakes. You may get lucky and see a wolf while you are in that area.

You can read my report here
http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/messages/3/6167.h tml?1179594668

I too wanted to reach Maple Mountain but it simply wasn't attainable for me solo in 6 days from the same put in. After reading the news about the logging going on near Maple Mountain in October I will definately have to find a new route that can take me there. First week of October sounds like a good time. No traffic then.!!

Good luck and keep us up to date on your plans.
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That portage is steep Rob on the Sandy inlet end but it is nothing even close to what you'll find along the Lady Evelyn River...Those are some of the steepest potages in the province. Only the Dog River and other small rivers on the coast of Superior can rival the steep trails of the Lady Evelyn. Still, it remains a favorite trip for me!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home