Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 23, 2007 * Protecting food and Lake Temagami < Previous Next >

Link to this message

amigo

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, June 2, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Two of us will be canoeing in Temagami area for about 5 days or so end of July/early August... two questions....

1. How busy/noisy is Lake Temagami, really?

We stayed on Lady Evelyn for 5 days two years ago and saw several canoeists and a few motor boats with fishermen, but not enough to bother us. I imagine L Temagami is worse, but is it much worse? I don't mind a few boats here and there - I don't think we'll be packing for portaging so L Temagami would be different.

2. Are bear-proof barrels to store food advisable or is hanging food-bag over branch good enough?

Thanks.

(Message edited by amigo on June 2, 2007)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 451

Posted on Sunday, June 3, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Amigo:
Suggest you go to one of the Temagami tourist sites and try to decide if you want to spend a week on the lake.
you could start at:
http://www.tla-temagami.org/index.html
There are lot's of cottagers and lot's of boats so it really depends on your personal tolerance level.
...as to the bears and food storage it would depend if there is a foraging bear close to where you decide to camp.I personally don't hang any packs or use any bear proof barrels... but I don't usually camp on Lake Temagami either.

Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 65

Posted on Sunday, June 3, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It'll depend on where you camp. If you're in Pickerel Bay you probably won't see anyone. If you're across from the Mine Landing, you won't stop seeing people. Basically, the more distance you put between the Mine Landing and your campsite, the quieter it'll be.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 452

Posted on Sunday, June 3, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Curly:
How about Kokoko Lake? Any cottages up in there?
One small portage to get in there though....

and of course the nicest spot to camp is on Sandy Inlet .. but lot's of houseboats seem to want to use that area as well.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, June 3, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Amigo

A Little Further North you have either the West Montreal River (gowganda to matachewan), the Sisseney Branch of East Montreal (Gowganda to Matchewan), or Shining Tree to Matchewan... all
great paddles good for 5 days, without traffic
and company... or substantially less.

You specified Temagami, though... and ed and Curly know that area, and will point you to the least-traffic areas there.

If you consider any of the three I mentioned, let me know and I can detail them more.

Sundown
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 66

Posted on Sunday, June 3, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

No cottages on Kokoko. It's pretty quiet, though does see a fair share of canoeists and a few motorboats humped in from Kokoko Bay.
 Link to this message

amigo

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, June 3, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for your thoughts, folks. We had initially thought of doing the L. Temagami/Diamond L/Obabika L loop, but not sure about all the portaging - means having to pack lighter (and probably do each portage 3 times) - how long would that loop take, not doing it in a rush? Is 5 days reasonable?

Which entry point off L Temagami is best? We don't have a 4-wheel drive...

(Message edited by amigo on June 3, 2007)

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 453

Posted on Sunday, June 3, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Starting from the Central Access road you can do Temagami, Diamond, Wakimika, Obabika and back to Temagami in 3 days. Five days would give you time to enjoy yourselves and do some hiking/ fishing etc.
 Link to this message

amigo

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, June 3, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, Ed.

How does Red Squirrel Road (to Ferguson Bay) compare to the Central Access Road? Is it ok for a regular car? It might make the entire distance a little shorter giving us more time to enjoy some R&R on the lakes :-)

Is there a parking fee at either access point?

I take it it shouldn't be a problem getting any campsites on the loop trip at that time of year? Sure wasn't at that time of year when we were on Lady Evelyn!

Link to this message

amigo

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, June 3, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Excuse my ignorance, but where are Pickerel Bay and Mine Landing? I have the Temagami Canoe Routes Planning Map and I see neither one of those on L temagami - is Pickerel Bay on the southern or northern end? Thanks.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 454

Posted on Sunday, June 3, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Pickerel Bay is on the west side of Ferguson Bay. Go to:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_at las.htm
and click on the map for Ferguson Bay:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_at las_ferg.htm

The Mine Landing is now called the Central Access road. It starts about 5 km south of Temagami on #11 and parallels the south shore of the Northeast Arm of the lake. Not sure if you have to pay a parking fee at this time.
The Red Squirrel Road is driveable by car but the side road that takes you down to Sandy Inlet (North end of Ferguson Bay)is a bit brutal for a small car. Go to:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_at las_ferg.htm

You are planning to go at the end of July/early August. This is at the height of the canoeing season and it may be busy, but there are lot's of sites.
 Link to this message

amigo

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, June 4, 2007 - 4:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The small road off Red Squirrel Rd that leads to Sandy Inlet shown on http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_at las_sandy.htm with 2 Parking areas on it. Is the road difficult to navigate even to the first parking area? Approx how far is it from the first parking to the water? What makes this road difficult, lots of potholes and big rocks? Sounds like everyone who goes to the camp must get there by truck...
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 455

Posted on Monday, June 4, 2007 - 7:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The section between the first and second parking lot is the problem. It is a sand flat area and in this section it has humongous pot holes.If the road is dry you can carefully drive a small car down there by straddling the holes. If the pot holes are full of water this becomes a bit more difficult.
If you search around on this forum you may find some previous discussions about this section of road.
 Link to this message

rob_in_angus

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, June 9, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was down this road this year. It is not so much the potholes as it is the ruts. Big long deep ones. Took my 07 Tacoma tires right to the hubs.

As has been mentioned it is very sandy and it may be passable today but rain tommorrow and a stuck car will change the face of the road quickly.

The first parking lot was not so bad to get to. Not very well marked though. I would say it is about 1000m to the beach from the first parking lot.

Just a note. This area is not marked at all and I had a heck of a time trying to find it. As a matter of fact I never did until the trip was over. Turn into the Camp Wanapitei drive way and when the road forks, stay right. About 25m down the road there is the parking area. Room for plenty of cars. The road to the second parking lot is on the left as you enter the parking area. Don't go straight. Long dead end :-( When you reach the second parking lot there is a Government sign. Follow the wide trail to the beach. Don't take the smaller trail that forks off this one.

Worth the trouble to get to.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home