Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 23, 2007 * Planning trip 3rd/4th week of June < Previous Next >

Link to this message

lynne

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 5, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi,
My husband and I are novice/intermediate kayakers,experienced back country campers,but new to kayak/backcountry camping.
We are planning a 5-7 day kayaking trip in the Temagami/Lady Evelyn area. We like to have a fair amount of solitude - but still want to experience the beauty of the area. As kayakers we want as few portages as possible.
We are looking at 3 ideas.(other sugestion would be welcomed)

1.Park at end of Tamagami Access Road,paddle down to Cross Lake, and spend our time in that area.
2.Park at Sandy Inlet,paddle up to Diamond Lake, and lower area of Lady Evylyn - spending our time in that area
3.Depart Sandy inlet and make our way up to Mowat"s Landing to our second vehicle.
I am recovering from a shoulder injury- still building up strength - can paddle 15-20 km/day. Don't want to have to pack up camp everyday.
Our question is three part:
-which areas on these routes are particularly dangerous and to what extreme? (we have built in winded days -up 10days if need be)
-which areas at that time are busy - busy in what way?
-which areas will give us the most scenic experience?

Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, June 5, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lynne

Others will kick in, I'm sure, but I'll address what I can say, and hope it is helpful. I think we might need a bit more sense of what precisely you wish, in order to really hit the nail for you. But, yeah, your nail can be hit, ok?

The whole area is scenic... everything you describe... and none of it is particularly dangerous, if granted appropriate respect, right?

Your routes all involve "Bigwaters" and "Boattraffic" so Solitude becomes a relative term on much of these... as does wind, waves, and rapid-weather-change.

Honestly, especially recovering from a shoulder
injury, I dont wonder if you might not want a little more of a narrow-passage-shoreline with
great scenery, little boat traffic, and enough
fast water to attain separation-from-motors and
crowded campsites... and a few good thrills?

I can direct you to several routes to enable that
for you, as can a lot of the crotchedly old bees on this site... maybe Ed, Curly, Brian
I guess what I would suggest is
to post a response really-hitting-the-nail-in-terms-of-what-you-seek, when you would go, what you want and dont want... in more detail... and
I am CERTAIN those guys can point-yer-bow well.

Hope that helps... and welcome to Ottertooth!

Sundown
 Link to this message

lynne

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 5, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank-you Sundown,
I'm not sure what other info you need on our trip. What do you need to know
We are going 3rd and 4th week of June.
Lynne
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, June 5, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lynne

Ok, I see now that Your Thread Title is "3rd/4th
week of June"... missed that first time.

All 3 routes are relatively short... one day in,
and one day out, leaves 3 to 5, (or up to 8) days
of pure camping. I was wondering whether you wanted that much camping vs that little kayaking?

Essentially, each of the three routes involve
mostly Bigwater and wave/wind potential, and all
three will involve a lot of boat-traffic... especially as you approach Canada Day. I wasnt
sure if that was congruous with Solitude, to you
folks.

If its primarily a "Camping trip" and the Boat
Traffic/Bigwater is viewed as an acceptable
consequence, any of the three are good.

In terms of danger, the Bigwater waves and storm potential are the main considerations.

If you want a bit more kayaking and a little less camping, there are numerous areas a "little
deeper in" where you'll find more solitude and
comparatively less-and-less traffic.

See also other threads over past 7 days... ed was
providing similar answers to similar questions to
another posting.

Sundown
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 457

Posted on Tuesday, June 5, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lynne:
I think you could do your trip in about 5-6 days of paddling.
The question is where to start from.Sandy Inlet has a rough access road to get to the parking lot and then you have to portage 320m to get to the lake to start.Go to:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_at las_sandy.htm for a map of this area.

Or you could start at the Central Access road launch there and park there.This is a pretty busy area,sometimes known as the Hub but as you travel north it thins out quite a bit and you get people moving to and from a few cottages, but no hoards.

Day 1 paddle to Sealrock Point or thereabouts. Some cottages and motorboats but not like a Muskoka Lake that is crawling with them.

Day 2 paddle north into Sharp Rock inlet and either stay there or paddle through into Diamond via a short 75m portage.A bit rough but manageable if 2 of you are carrying the Yak(s).
Maybe a few fishing boats on the lake but not many.
Day 3 go into Lady Evelyn over another short portage.

Day 4 paddle up Lady Evelyn Lake to the north end.
Day 5 you can probably make the Dam across from Mowatt Landing.

Lady Evelyn will have some traffic on it but probably not as much as Lake Temagami.

You can get wind on the big lakes, but I don't think it will bother you as much as it does a canoeist because you are lower in the water. Also in the summer months the prevailing winds in the area are from the south west so if that holds, you should be travelling mostly with the wind to your backs.
 Link to this message

lynne

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, June 6, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sundown and Ed,
Thank-you so much for the info. We like the itinarary you've set out Ed. We'll make it a 7-8 day trip to have a little leasure time. And let my shoulder rest.
A few more questions:
Is there a boat lift at the Dam at Mowat's landing (my husband heard that somewhere) - just curious.
A friend told us that Cross Lake is quiet (also in Hap Wilson's book) Would this be a good weekend trip-from the main access road? Or would a loop of the south end of the lake in to Cross Lake make for a good 5 day trip?(just looking at options for future trips)
Thanks, Lynne
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 459

Posted on Wednesday, June 6, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lynne:
I believe there is a private arrangement to portage boats up and around the dam. I believe you have to pay for the service. Most canoeists just portage themselves.It is not that far to go.

I can't comment on Cross Lake as I have not travelled in there. Others here such as Curly may wish to comment.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 120

Posted on Wednesday, June 6, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes the family that lives at Mowat dam has a multi-bunk trailer and they take all the fisherman/cottagers up over the dam... for I believe $10
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, June 6, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lynne

I would recommend Cross Lake as an excellent weekend or long weekend run, for a couple reasons

First, it is Weather-Friendly, and
Second, it is adaptable to extension/variety given the vagaries of timeframes/surprises.

Example... you can get in quick via Shiningwood Bay, Cross Bay, Cross Lake in pretty much any weather conditions. You can also do the longer loop and come in from the South End of Cross lake
if you happen to have an earlier start, or less roadtraffic... and that route is comparitively wind-sheltered to many other places on the Lake.
Enroute, given your weather on a given day and start-time, you can also come in from even Angus
lake or Jumping Cariboo.

Cross Lake affords tremendous flexilbility to go with whatever whims/weather/driving conditions you find.

I'd say the Angus-Wasaksina-Shiningwood-Southaccess to Cross and back to Angus via either
Cross Bay or Wasaksina portage are excellent 5 days... especially via kayak, and your preferred
travel distances. Again, tons of flexibility.
(Main access to South Cross Loop affords more camping time, of course)

Sundown
 Link to this message

moose

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, June 6, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hey lynne if your in diamond the last week of june stop and say hi as i will be one of the fisherman their
 Link to this message

lynne

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, June 7, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good Morning!
I just want to thank you ALL for the excellent info. This is an amazing web site - thank-you to the web master. And, moose we'll be sure to keep an eye out for you- hope you have good fishing.
Lynne
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, June 7, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lynne

If you find the time, dont forget to post a pic or two, and a trip report... if you can.
A lot of us wont get to paddle your waters this summer. Thanks.

Sundown

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home