Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 2, 2004 * Makobe < Previous Next >

Link to this message

street

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 5:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are planning a Makobe River trip for this summer. I took a similar trip many years ago and remember really becoming concerned about the shallow water on Graymud Lake.

Some related questions:

1) Just how shallow can we expect Graymud to be in late July? Does anyone recall this section becoming so shallow that it really was not passable? Does anyone recall actually paddling (as opposed to poling and jerking) through this section during relatively high water conditions?

2) Is taking the Makobe Lake alternative - including the long (4k) portage into Makobe Lake worth the effort? Are there any motorboats on Makobe Lake? How nice are the campsites?

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 190

Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 5:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Street, the secret to Graymud is the river channel that winds through the lake. It is not always obvious. If the bow kneels forward as observer and you "paddle" slow enough, you will be able to follow it.

If it does get impassable in extreme situations, I can't speak to it. Of course, you can only properly assess levels in late July when you are departing. I'd come back and ask about levels then.

The long portage is flat, though I hear from Garrett Kephart at Keewaydin that it can be muddy. If you have heavy and/or multiple loads and Graymud is passable, I recommend taking the portage into Banks.

There could be motorboats on Makobe if there is a fly-in angler. But motorboats are extremely rare.

It is so much quieter than Florence and, I believe, under appreciated.
 Link to this message

garrett

Post Number: 52

Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 7:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The 4km Makobe Lake portage is generally flat, but the "good" trail is separated by a number of progressively longer sections of muskeg. And not just puddles, but pits! It's not all that bad if you're used to and ready for that type of thing. There was a yellow "P" sign marking the trail last summer leading from the Grays River.

Last year in early-to-mid July, Graymud was paddle-able to the portage into Banks (but it was wet last year). I've heard that, typically, in late-July and August it's a tough pull up Graymud. You must find the river-channel as Brian said.

If you go that way, unless you back-track, you are going to miss the beautiful Makobe Lake. I think it's worth it to take the portage, but I like long walks through the wilderness. It's character building. :-)
 Link to this message

street

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 8:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you both! Garrett, your vivid description of the Makobe portage explains why Graymud appears to be the route of choice.

In the next edition of Hap's book, I wonder which of the two different though accurate ways he will describe this portage:
a) a relatively long but flat trail with some scenic marshy areas where one might get a chance to photograph moose traversing the muskeg; OR
b) a flatter version of the Diamond Death March where you are advised to wear an orange shirt and hat so that it will be easier for others in your section to spot you when they have to pull you out of the moose muck.

It sounds, though, as if Makobe Lake might be worth a backtrack. Perhaps on another trip when we have more time.

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home