Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through February 24, 2013 * Makobe-Florence < Previous Next >

Link to this message

angie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi,
I saw a post here from 2007 where Ed wrote: 'From Elk Lake you will be going upstream on the Makobe River to Banks Lake.I have done that once in the summer in the mid 1970's and I think we took not quite 2 days, as we had to portage all of the rapids and track up the swifts. As I vaguely recall the water levels were somewhat low.'

Is Makobe River still dragable? We have lots of experience, just wondering if we should plan to start somewhere else (not Elk Lake).
Thanks very much - this forum is amazing!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1189

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Angie:
I can't help you with this question. But, there may be someone out there who has been on the Makobe this year and may have an answer.

The water levels on the area rivers, this year, seem to be almost historically low.

Where were you planning to go on your trip?
Perhaps there are alternatives that we could comment on.

Link to this message

angie

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 9:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed for getting back so quickly, I have really enjoyed reading your posts. Our intended route was:
D1 Elk lake - Alex lake
D2 Makobe lake
D3 I forget!
D4 Sunnywater
D5 Smoothwater
D6 Scarecrow
D7 Solace
D8 Florence (fly out)

I don't mind doing a bit of dragging but 2 days on a short trip is a bit much. We are now contemplating starting at Gowganda and heading to Smoothwater that way. Just a bit disappointed as it sounds like the Makobe river route is really nice. I guess I'm wondering if it's worth the risk, but I don't think it is.
Thanks again, any thoughts greatly appreciated!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1190

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 9:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

So your revised trip would be?
1.Start Gowganda to maybe Stumpy
2.Smoothwater
3.Scarecrow
4.Ishpatina?
5.Ghoul on the Sturgeon R.
6.Solace or further
7.Florence
8.depart
Or some combination of this.

Should be a nice trip.You may have some low water areas south of Florence as you work your way up from Bluesucker.

Has anyone been between Bluesucker and Florence in the past few weeks, who could comment on the conditions?
_______
I would save the Makobe for an earlier trip in a year with good water levels and then run it downstream, from Makobe to Elk Lake.

Link to this message

angie

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, that would be the revised route, which sounds good. A couple of us have been to Ishpatina, but the others haven't so will probably go.
I will definitely report on the conditions when we return. I appreciate the contribution - such a nice community!
 Link to this message

angie

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

HELPFUL UPDATE FROM FINLAYSON PARK OFFICE

I was able to get in touch with Mike from the Finlayson Park office who has just done a trip in the area - for work - and he had lots of feedback which I will try to repeat accurately:
- they scouted all the unauthorized access points on the Makobe from Alexander Lake into town
- low enough - can't line up swifts; need to portage and do the "rock hop"
- Sturgeon R = 18" less than where it should be
- Lakes around Solace which have no drainage are down 18/19 inches
- there is a series of 4/5 lakes near Selkirk; of the 5, two are 1" deep, the rest are mud..."loon poop"!
- he recommends the Gowganda start and suggests taking Reagan as opposed to the Sturgeon; Reagan over to Solace is phenomenal, beautiful yellow birches etc. through Einar

So, thanks Mike and thanks Ed, looks like I've got a plan and will report back after.
Angie
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1192

Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 6:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

WOW! The water levels are even lower than most of us have been anticipating.
Thanks for posting that Angie.

A colleague of mine was in NW Ontario, North of TBay in June and was complaining about the 7.5" of rain that fell on him in one night.So we know where all the rain is going.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home