Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through February 24, 2013 * Solace - Florence < Previous Next >

Link to this message

mjb1

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 2:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a little help with a fall trip. I was hoping to get 6-7 days this year for my fall trip, but that isn't going to happen. I'm looking at a 4day-3night trip (maybe 4 night) so I'm finding my options limited.

I was hoping to get into Florence this year; not sure I have enough time to do that. I would be coming off the Sturgeon, through Solace, and Bluesucker.
How much of a day is it between Solace and Florence (I've only gone as far as Bluesucker). Is it possible in a day?

Any other routes that I should be considering in that area. I did Solace last year, Scarecrow the year before and Haentschel the year before that.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1191

Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 6:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think you would be hard pressed to get from Solace to Florence in one day, especially in the Fall when the days are shorter. By mid September it is getting dark around 7PM.
 Link to this message

mjb1

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 2:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank Ed. I figured that, but thought I'd ask. Wishful thinking.

Anything other suggestions from anybody. How is the route from Scarecrow to Solace. I've only gone into Solace from the Sturgeon through Selkirk (I've gone both routes). How is the Einar, Biscuit, Carrying Bar, Tooth, Melanson and Regan route? Is that a nice trip?
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 367

Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 8:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is a lot of portaging from Solace to Florence so an early start is needed. If you single port then it should be no probem. Portaging in Solace PP is hilly, the potages bewtwwn Bluesucker and Florence is traditionally wet and boggy so a dry year would help here.

The route between Ragan and Solace is a less travelled route and likely has only seen a few parties since its revival in the last 10 years. I have read that the route is becoming more defined. Being a dry year, Melanson Lake may be shallow and the creek exiting to Tooth will be dry resulting in extra portaging.
 Link to this message

angie

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 3:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am heading through this aread in 2 weeks; from Gowganda to Smoothwater and through Scarecrow, Reagan, Solace and finishing at Florence. There is some question as to water levels so I can let you know when we return how it is.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1193

Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 3:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Angie: that would be very helpful.
 Link to this message

mjb1

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2012 - 9:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Angie, that'd be great.

We would be single carrying, and have portaged into Bluesucker without problem and know the area a bit. I just haven't gotten further than that. Florence may have to wait another year though, as it's looking like 3 nights and not 4 (or more). Ragan to Solace may work, so I'm curious to hear from Angie how that route is.

Thanks for all the help.
 Link to this message

earle

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2012 - 8:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We just got back from doing a loop at Smoothwater from the Beauty lake access down to Scarecrow, Hamlow, Regan through Tooth, Einar into Solace and across the portages to Bluesucker. Then into Florence and going up the Lady Evelyn to Gamble and finally across the long portages back to Smoothwater. The Regan to Solace is a nice area but the portages are quite obscured. Once you find the start they are well defined trails. Alscool is right about the creek into tooth, we had to do a longer portage to get some water but no problem paddling up to the beaver dam at Tooth. We did notice that the water levels on the Montreal river North of Lady Dufferin had dropped noticeably from when we had gone in. You may have to do some wading in some spots.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home