Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through February 24, 2013 * An Obabika figure 8 of sorts < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bcmz

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 8:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi,
My wife and I are planning a trip from Wanapitei (north end of Ferguson Bay on Tamagami - after we dump the kids off at camp). Plan is to head west to Sharp Rock Inlet, do Diamond / Wakimika, then down the Obabika River, back up via Wawiagama / Obabika, then back to Wanapitei via Bob Lake back to Diamond. We have about 6-7 days. Is this reasonable to plan, if we expect to actually relax a bit and enjoy the trip?
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2012 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

it's doable at a relaxed pace but i'd try to get the whole 7 days off so you can have a rest day as well!
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2012 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

just remembered the low water levels!!! wawiagama "river" is probably un-navigable!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1194

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2012 - 7:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It is normally about an hour to paddle up it, but you can walk it if necessary and that should let you float the canoe.
 Link to this message

bcmz

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks very much folks...
Do you think the Obabika & Wakimika Rivers could be problematic due to low water?

Hopefully we will get some rain BEFORE the trip! We are going 2nd week of August.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

i think water levels on the wawiagama r. have more to do with beaver activity. last time we did it a number of years back it was about 3 inches deep and took 2+ hours, but that was with freshly-maintained dams (if not brand-new!)...
had to drag and carry the whole way...
however if you do encounter water that low look for an amazing spring about halfway up, with clear water bubbling right up out of the mud just like an old-fashioned drinking fountain!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1197

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 8:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Wakimika and Obabika Rivers should be OK
 Link to this message

bcmz

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2012 - 9:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Many thanks - very helpful information...
By the way, I was just looking at the level & discharge data for the Sturgeon and Upper Goose Falls. In spite of a recent spike, flow is pretty much at the end of July minimum for the period of record (25 yrs!)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home