Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through February 24, 2013 * Eagle Lake Road off Red Squirrel Road < Previous Next >

Link to this message

xhumeka

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2012 - 3:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi everyone,

Curious - how far can one travel on Eagle Lake Road; can you get all the way to Eagle Lake (with 4wd)? Is there a gate or blockade on this road similar to the Gate at the end of Red Squirrel Rd?

Thanks!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1195

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2012 - 6:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think this map is still accurate:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/muskego-so uth.htm#map

But I have never driven up there off the Red Squirrel. I recall there being a sign at the start of the turn off to Eagle indicating how many kliks you can drive before you reach the access control.
 Link to this message

xhumeka

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2012 - 7:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed!
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 356

Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The road is gated and bermed where the portage heads east from Little Eagle Lake enroute to Whitewater. You can park there and portage in either direction. Don't need 4x4 to drive up there.
 Link to this message

newtotemagami

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2012 - 1:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Can anyone confirm that it's possible to take Red Squirrel Road off Highway 11 and from Red Squirrel find the turn-off for Eagle Lake Road and drive all the way to the portage between Zee Lake and Little Eagle Lake? And could this be done in a fully loaded Honda Fit? Thanks
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 360

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2012 - 2:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, take the RSR off 11. The fork is ~25 km in. The Eagle Lk Rd is the right fork, it actually looks like you're just going straight. Drive careful with your Fit, but you will make it no problem.
 Link to this message

newtotemagami

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Curly. Any reason why this road is not better known? Does anyone know whether there is active logging close enough to Eagle Lake and Little Eagle Lake to make it unpleasant? Eagle Lake sounds like a small gem. Is that an accurate perception?
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 361

Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

This road really only accesses one minor route. Most people would put in at Red Squirrel Lake or McLean Lake to do the Whitewater-Aston loop. I used the LIttle Eagle access once to do the Muskego River-Sonny Lake-Bay Lake.

There is no active logging anywhere near this area.

Eagle Lake is a gem, yes.
 Link to this message

newtotemagami

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 2, 2012 - 1:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

In the post by Curly on July 17, he mentions that the Eagle Lake road is gated and bermed where the portage heads east from Little Eagle Lake enroute to Whitewater. The latest Natural Resources map for the area (41-P/1), produced Oct. 26, 2010, shows the road going up almost to the Eagle River, where it enters Little Eagle Lake. (See attachment, red X). This is not the long portage from Zee Lake into Little Eagle, as shown on the South Muskego map to which Ed refers (http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/muskego-south.htm#map). (See attachment, blue X.)

My questions are as follows:

Does that logging road end where the NRCan map shows or where the Ottertooth map shows?

Wherever it ends, is it difficult to find the portage to the water, whether that water is the Eagle River, Little Eagle Lake, or the river between Zee and Little Eagle?
How long is the portage and is it marked at all?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 362

Posted on Thursday, August 2, 2012 - 2:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The NRCAN map doesn't show all the roads. The ottertooth map is more correct. If you drive straight, you will reach the gate/berm at the blue X. The portage crosses literally right there, and it is not difficult to find. Looking at Google Earth, you might be better off to drive the road to the red X and see where it is gated. If you can get close to the river and portage the rest of the way, it looks like it would be an easy paddle upstream into Little Eagle. When you come back, please post here and tell us what you find.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1450

Posted on Friday, August 3, 2012 - 8:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

One of the purposes of the Ottertooth maps is to be up to date.
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 56

Posted on Friday, August 3, 2012 - 3:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've been up there numerous times; the trick is that the portage is just past the gate (blue x) about 50 yards. It took us 2 or 3 years of bushwacking before we figured that out!

I've driven it in an Echo, and it is fine; you just have to drive carefully.

If I remember correctly the road to the red X was too rough for a car to navigate.
 Link to this message

newtotemagami

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, August 3, 2012 - 9:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

What a great response! You guys are really helpful. My wife and I went in last year at the turnoff from the Red Squirrel road to Sandy Beach. We had a hard time finding the right road to the portage and barely made it in and out with our Mazda, the road was so rutted and rough. That's why all the questions about the Eagle Lake road and you've answered them to a tee. This year I'm going with my two grown sons, both city boys, and would not like to see us get stuck in our Fit. If an Echo can make it and the road goes to the blue X, then we'll be fine. Thanks again and I'll let you know what we find.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 363

Posted on Saturday, August 4, 2012 - 1:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I won't disagree with Simon, as trails do tend to wander over time. But the last time I was there, at least 5 years ago, this was the case: drive straight until you get to the berm and park. Portage about 50 yards past the berm to the gate. There was an illegal ATV bypass trail to the right (east) of the gate. The portage to Little Eagle crosses right at the gate, i.e. within about 5 yards. There was a watery area to the left (west), which may account for the trail being moved. After this dry year, I doubt there would be water there. Regardless, it was not difficult to find then.

I still think your best bet would be to portage or drive to the red X and paddle upstream. No bushwhacking, no lost trails, just a portage on a road. Last time I was at that crossing (10 years?) the "gate" was just a chain on the bridge, but I think they've since upgraded.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1454

Posted on Sunday, August 5, 2012 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

That red cross should be right on top of Eagle River. If you understand that, then you will appreciate Curly's advice better.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 364

Posted on Sunday, August 5, 2012 - 8:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I spoke with someone today who was at the Little Eagle-Zee portage a few days ago. She confirmed that it has moved about 100' north of the gate.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 370

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Was just there today myself. Turns out the portage is in the exact same place. It's the gate that's moved 50 yards south! MNR has installed a new improved gate and increased the ATV resistance with some ditching and boulders.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 372

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 6:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Was up there again today. The access at the "red x" is fine for any vehicle. You can paddle up to Little Eagle from there with just a couple little lift overs. The Eagle River downstream is impassable. Also did a nice bushwhack hike up Barmac Mt, which offers great views to the east and west (Aston Ridge).
 Link to this message

newtotemagami

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We made our trip to Little Eagle and Eagle Lakes, myself and my sons, and found all of your advice proved true. At the end of the Eagle Lake Road, I missed the turnoff to the red X and drove straight on to the final gate, the blue X. We weren't sure which X we were at, so we explored, without any packs, the logging road past the gate for about a kilometre before we turned back.

On the way back, I was inspecting the side of the road a little more closely when I spotted a culvert. Sure enough, this was for the creek that runs south of the portage. We had to brush aside a few branches to see it, but there was the portage. I'd confirm that it's about 50 feet or so north of the gate.

We camped at the site just opposite the portage on Little Eagle Lake the first night, then went up to Eagle Lake proper the next day. The one lift over has become a short portage with two feet of mud at the put-in on the south end. That was fun. The other portages into Eagle Lake were interesting: the first one is straight up and straight down; on the last one, my son spotted a bear, which he thought was running at him, when it was really trying to run away from him.

When we got back, we found that the road had been graded up to the gate and some large boulders removed. Luckily, we had found a little drive way to park in off the road. All in all a great trip and it wouldn't have been possible without the advice and experience shared by you guys on this site. I told my sons that they owed their access to some really cool wilderness to Curly, Ed, Brian, Simon and the Ottertooth Forums. Thanks guys!

Now, for the next adventure: my wife and I are planning three or four days on the Snare Lake loop the last week of September. Any advice? That may be for another thread.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1467

Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Not sure what the Snare Lake loop route is, but if it includes Snare Creek then you are a glutton for punishment.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home