Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through February 24, 2013 * FOT Map suggestions < Previous Next >

Link to this message

maramar

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 9:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I know I have just seen somewhere that the first edition has sold out so presumably another printing is on the horizon. If I may, a couple of suggestions. The first one I can make from the vantage point and experience of my day job as an Aboriginal Liaison Advisor for a federal agency where I am responsible for all the First Nations in Northcentral Ontario, from Georgian Bay to Hudson Bay. I am not sure how or where this started but I have begun to see in recent times the "pluralization" of First Nation in reference to single communities and this is incorrect. On the FOT map, I see this is the case with Wahnapitae First Nation. Please consider removing the "s". Note my spelling too for their name, also different from the FOT version. The one above is their spelling and so should probably be the one used. I do see that TFN is in the singular though, but am wondering if they were asked which name they would prefer on the map as they may prefer "Teme-Augama Anishnabe First Nation"...with whatever spelling they would provide for those words. I would also suggest dropping the word "community" in both instances as it is somewhat redundant after First Nation. It is generally understood that First Nation denotes a community by those using the term.

My second one is a question stemming from my other "job" as an Aboriginal artist where I am always concerned with the nature and quality of my materials. I am wondering about the inks used in printing the map...are they lightfast (ie. fade-proof)? I do not display my map but for the benefit of those who may indeed have it up on walls (in sunlight), they may want to be cautious. I suspect it is likely done with dye-based inks (so not fade-proof) and not pigmented inks, but perhaps one of the map-makers can let us know or inquire of the printer to find out.

My two cents...

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home