Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through February 24, 2013 * Bears < Previous Next >

Link to this message

dupuisn

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 6:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wondering how bear sightings have been in the Wakamika/Obabika/Diamond...area. I know bears had been an issue on Diamond...or one bear in particular, a few years back.
We are two women heading out and I never let my fear stop me from doing what I love, but yes!;I am afraid :-)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1200

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 7:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We have not had any problem bear reports on the forum this year, or for several years now.
 Link to this message

dupuisn

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 8:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed. I met you two years ago at the gathering.
 Link to this message

trasker

Post Number: 153

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

dupuisn: In our search for Daniel, we encountered bears at Camp Wanapitei (May 10 and 16) and another at Diamond Lk NE arm (July 10, someone else spotted one on June 23-29), so they are out there, but able to keep clear by banging pots and using airhorns. Hubby made sure food was out of the way (hung) and cleaned up well after every meal, leave no trace.

There are some bear pics on the ALERT-Missing Person forum here, with further details. If you are in the area, please be on the lookout for signs of Daniel, thanks.
 Link to this message

dupuisn

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 9:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you trasker. I am the same Nicole who sent you an email earlier this week regarding our trip and that we would keep a look out for any signs. :-)
Thanks for the info about bears.
 Link to this message

moose

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 8:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was in diamond June 22-23 and saw three
Siting myself
 Link to this message

lost_canoe

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, August 8, 2012 - 6:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Nicole,

How was the trip??

I have a couple of pics from the COTS you were asking for. Email me at membership@friendsoftemagami.org and I'll send them to ya.

Mike
 Link to this message

smallmouth

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We (my 3 kids, wife and I) came across a bear cub at the end of the portage to Aileen Lake off the south arm of the lake while up this past weekend (Sat. Aug. 18). We had our dog with us and quickly turned around and got out of there, worried the mother was close by and wanting to avoid any close encounter with small kids and a dog!
 Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 9:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Do many canoeists carry a firearm for Bear protection?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1208

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 6:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have never seen any canoeists carrying guns while tripping in Temagami or anywhere in the Boreal Forest during the usual tripping season.

Lot's of guns around during hunting season.I have travelled in bird season and there are plenty of hunters out there. I usually get out of the bush before the moose hunters show up.

Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2013 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

me either.
i've had quite a few bear encounters in temagami and would recommend the usual stuff- always hanging your food up at least 10 feet, not camping where there is recent bear sign, keeping gear and food organized so you can push off in a hurry at lunch stops. on a trail, or in the canoe in a river, back off until you'r right out of sight.
i've never seen one act aggressively.
 Link to this message

scottb

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2013 - 8:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We saw signs of a bear this spring on Pilgrim Bridge, but we figure it was chasing after a young calf moose that we saw in the area around that time. There are very few people camping in that area. Most people are just canoeing or biking through that area, so bears aren't really used to people. I often will wash my canoe with soap and water if I've been doing any fishing to get rid of the smell- A bear got into my Dad's canoe once because of the fish smell. We burn our cans that we have used, and bag them up the next morning to get rid of the food smell. We're pretty strict about keeping food packed away in containers to keep bears away, and also to keep mice away at night.
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 135

Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 6:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've never met an actual canoeist who carries a gun for protection. I've met plenty of fishermen-turned-"canoeist" that do...
We've all met them... the nervous, jittery "those bears are bloodthirsty" kind of guys...

With a little experience, those trigger-happy-afraid-of-any-twig-that-snaps types soon realize that the gun they're toting for protection is really just extra weight on the portage.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home